Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Short Story: Shot two bucks, see pictures below

Long Story:
Beyond this season, this has been an incredible year for myself. In August closed on and moved into my first house, and a few months prior to that I treated myself and bought that brand new truck that I have wanted since I was a child. No regrets. I thought those two things would be the highlight of my year and it couldnt get any better.

Well here comes hunting season and I take a few days off to hit up my cousins property in Jackson County. I really wasnt expected much as he had some health issues, the tractor and ATV both broke down, and all the food plots remained foodless. In hindsight it wasnt too bad, the deer still traveled through our property like they always do going to the neighbors larger fields, and the fields were overgrown with some plant that was taller than my truck.

October 4th, afternoon hunt, I headed out and sat a stand at the bottom of a ridge that the deer funnel through, working down the ridge going to the neighbors. I stand up to stretch and noticed two doe about 30 yards away quartering behind me, and theyre staring behind them. I sit back down and keep waiting for them to come to my side, but nothing. Finally after a few minutes i peak around the large oak tree and I see a stud of an 8pt walking down the ridge, no doe in sight. Bow ready, looking him over, and I decided this year he gets the pass. I'm looking for better. This turned out to be a great decision. I hang my bow back up, turn back to keep watching him and catch movement out of the corner of my eye, and there was a larger buck about 20 yards behind him walking the same path! I grab my bow, wait for him to get behind some brush and draw, he hits my opening, I grunt, release, solid hit! He bucks, runs about 70 yards and expires. Great 10pt, my biggest deer yet by quite a bit. Rough green score 120-130, so im told, and im very happy as my previous largest buck was a 96" 8pt I shot the year before.

10pt - 1.jpeg

10pt - 2.jpeg

About a week later I took a smaller doe at our familys second property, a family friends 110 acre farm in Washtenaw County. Didnt want too, but she was in super rough shape, I assume from being hit from a car. The farmer wants some doe's gone, I was heading to the butcher to pick up the meat from the 10pt, so figured I would drop another off.

Fast forward to today, 11/20. I am back out at the farm in Washtenaw. I decided to go in to work late this morning and get a morning hunt in. I wasnt expecting much as I have witnessed virtually 0 rut sign despite all the deer I was seeing, and hunted pretty hard from 11/1 - 11/9.

I am sitting in a new stand I put up this year, a funnel between two good size wood lots where the deer come out to the fields. woods to my south, corn to my west, clover directly in front with leftover pumpkins directly past that.

I am checking LFTS and look up to see a large bodied deer about 150 yards out on the neighbors property walking through an overgrown pasture to the woods. He's walking away and goes into the woods. I hit the grunt call, and a few minutes later he walks out of the woods, this time about 100 yards away but still on the neighbors property. He does a big circle and goes back into the woods. I start hitting the calls again, few minutes later here he comes back out of the woods, does a big circle in the pasture glancing into our fields, I assume checking for does. Nothing. He heads back into the woods 150 yards out. Im going crazy! Why did i not grab the decoy from the barn?! I start hitting the calls again, he turns right around and does his circle, walking back to the 100 yards, walks the fence line to the corner, and finally comes onto our property! Except now he is about 110 yards out and starts feeding on a pumpkin. I keep with the calling, and even attempting my first snort wheezes to which he just locks onto my direction but does not commit. Hes walking away now!! At 130 yards I see a gap in the brush, about a 2 foot wide clear shot, and know this is my last chance, shoot or dont shoot. I have always been a confident shot, so I cock the Thompson Center muzzleloader, and he stops perfectly in the 130 yard gap! I put the crosshairs high up on the shoulder and pull the trigger.... HE DROPS IN HIS TRACKS!!

11pt - 1.jpg

11pt - 2.jpg

11pt - 3.jpg

I wasnt sure how big he was, but every step I got closer, he got bigger! I never would have imagined this morning turned out how it did! 11pt with a busted G3 on his left main beam. Rough green score (I say rough as were pretty inexperienced scoring, i just remember 28" main beam I think, 17" spread, cousin did the rest of the scoring) 158" which I plan on getting an official score later. Bullet went through the shoulder, never hitting any bone until it lodges itself right at the bottom of his spine/neck. The butcher was able to find it and give it back to me to boot!!

I literally would never imagined having the season I did and I feel truely blessed! May try and make it out a few more times to take a doe or two for the farmer as well as some families I know that would like some venison.

·
Administrator
17,413 Posts
Congrats on two awesome deer and one hell of a season!
<----<<<

Reactions: IT.Fisherman

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like you’ve got 2 shoulder mounts coming for the walls of the new house???
Sure do! Have the first deer there now, the second deer caped out and in the freezer. Thinking I may do a pedestal mount for him.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts