Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in law just bought a nice used fishing machine and we're in need of a little help on our first saginaw bay trip. The boat should have everything we need to catch some walleye. It's a 1775 pro v with a 9.9 honda kicker and a electronic control throttle. Main mast board system with double boards and clips to run them. The boat also came with a hockey bag full of walleye boxes loaded with everything from reef runners of all sizes to husky jerks and hot n tots, tad pollies, you name it the bag has it. I was hoping to get an idea of where might be a good beginner port to try and how far we should go? The boat has a decent sounder/chart plotter and I know that sometimes you might run a long ways to find fish. If anyone would mind sharing a little info via pm I'd be more than happy to return the favor with some steelhead trip of the west side of the state for anyone who's interested. I know steelhead and salmon but, walleye are a mystery thanks guy.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If we wanted to come try what time of year might be best for beginners and should we devote a weekend to it. Come over Friday night and leave Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be nice time of year the steelhead will be done running and give us time to get things ready.

·
Premium Member
29,965 Posts
If we wanted to come try what time of year might be best for beginners and should we devote a weekend to it. Come over Friday night and leave Sunday afternoon.
May and June you can't go wrong for the eyes. Anyone with a line in the water can catch them then:D Pretty easy pickens. There is many on here including myself that will share info when you come over. The fall bite will be picking up here soon with some nicer fish. The jigging in the river also is usually good from Oct. to ice up.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You say jigging the river and all I can think of is the Detroit river during spring run. Is it kinda like that but, the fall. And I assume you talking of saginaw bay tribs.

·
Premium Member
29,965 Posts
You say jigging the river and all I can think of is the Detroit river during spring run. Is it kinda like that but, the fall. And I assume you talking of saginaw bay tribs.
Saginaw river can be great in the fall for jigging. Same as the D, but not as big a fish of course. You can also cast for them with jigs or stickbaits. I prefer after dark for that though. Won't be long. I'm sure this last batch of rain brought some early ones in.

·
Registered
25,569 Posts
You go out again Dan? Do any good?
In the Morning, Luther and Ron Picked up 10 this morning, In short order.. Think we will Hit that spot first in the morning.. :D:D As to the op's original Your best bet to Learn and explore trolling the Bay, Would wait till Mid to late Oct crank bait bite, Fairly good numbers of nice fish, In close. And you will Know when the bite, Good time to learn to run Boards..

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
In the Morning, Luther and Ron Picked up 10 this morning, In short order.. Think we will Hit that spot first in the morning.. :D:D As to the op's original Your best bet to Learn and explore trolling the Bay, Would wait till Mid to late Oct crank bait bite, Fairly good numbers of nice fish, In close. And you will Know when the bite, Good time to learn to run Boards..

Dan- those were some nice fish Luther and Ron had.

Don't give up the skinny water!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looking to go on Saginaw Bay hope to get a walleye or 2! any help would be greatly appreciated of where to go out and what to use! Very novice looking for advise try not to get skunked!
Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
29,965 Posts
Looking to go on Saginaw Bay hope to get a walleye or 2! any help would be greatly appreciated of where to go out and what to use! Very novice looking for advise try not to get skunked!
Thanks guys!
Good luck out there. That Dan guy seems to know where they're at, I'd follow him:lol:

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts