Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a rather dismal year, even when we have ice, fishing has been poor. Tonight I caught a handful of gills but this ten incher made the evening. I was able to get my jig back, on 1#, from two identical bass also.

·
Registered
711 Posts
It has been a rather dismal year, even when we have ice, fishing has been poor. Tonight I caught a handful of gills but this ten incher made the evening. I was able to get my jig back, on 1#, from two identical bass also.

Greattt fish, nj and congrats! I lost an absolute pig at the ice today... Still not over it :/

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Nice job on the gill, my biggest this year is 9 3/4'' and I fish alot, you got me beat lol

what rod is that looks like a thorne bros

·
Premium Member
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice job on the gill, my biggest this year is 9 3/4'' and I fish alot, you got me beat lol

what rod is that looks like a thorne bros
My wife made up a few for me a coup[le years ago. We used the good blanks and hardware from Mudhole and they were very nice but a little too fragile.

·
Registered
792 Posts
9 3/4 for me too. Been finding more gills deep. Like that 18-27ft range out of the weeds. I have gotten a 14” crappie this year. Got more of those then anything

·
Premium Member
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your wife made you a fishing pole? Man I thought I had the best wife
I use to build some rods and when I started on ice rods I found that it was too fine of work for these construction hands. My wife is very crafty/mechanical and she said "I could do that". She found out she was good at it and enjoyed it.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Stick a nail through it and hang it on the wall. Welcome to the site. Here are the general rules. A fish worthy or bragging about, which this one supposedly is, requires a tape measure or something that size can be compared too or it didn't happen. For all we know, that board is 2"x3". Just kidding man, nice fish!

·
Premium Member
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree. The only gills I caught close to that was 10-10.5” and they were huge males with the big bull looking bump on there forehead. I have caught the goofy looking ones out of a buddies pond that we’re hybrid. And those were 13” but it’s kinda like cheating
My daughter and SIL live a small lake in Illinois that had some hybrid gills that were huge, they look like some type of freak.

Reactions: jimbo

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I agree. The only gills I caught close to that was 10-10.5” and they were huge males with the big bull looking bump on there forehead. I have caught the goofy looking ones out of a buddies pond that we’re hybrid. And those were 13” but it’s kinda like cheating
Ya, my uncle and I got one each last year on that one lake we've talked about before that were right around 10" but 1" of that was the bump on the head, lol. BTW, haven't caught a gill there since, 3 trips maybe? SMH

·
Registered
792 Posts
Smallie I could get u on them. Can’t promise there of any size. I’d say u could catch 50 a day easy just there small. But I never really fished for them on that lake. But I would guess there close by. Everyone says it’s slow this year my dad has been doing really good. I only been Gill fishing 2-3 times and have done pretty well also.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Stick a nail through it and hang it on the wall. Welcome to the site. Here are the general rules. A fish worthy or bragging about, which this one supposedly is, requires a tape measure or something that size can be compared too or it didn't happen. For all we know, that board is 2"x3". Just kidding man, nice fish!
He did. Paper towels are normally 11'' wide. LOL

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts