Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

First Shot at deer= miss for me

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  no thyme 
#1 ·
Well I finally got a deer within range this morning for the first time in the 2 years I've been bow hunting. Last year, I really didn't feel prepared, but I practiced a lot more this year and I was ready. Or so I thought.

I had a spike come right in on me, but he didn't smell, or detect me at all (the carbon dust I bought must've worked). I was frozen in my stand because he was so close. After making a couple noises bumping my bow, I thought I blew it, but the deer still hung around. I was finally able to draw on him with his head was behind a tree, and his vitals exposed. He stood at about 25 yds and I looked at my pin and let the arrow fly! Nailed the tree instead of the deer and he was gone.

I was pretty mad at myself, but I realized what I did. I felt I was pretty composed, but I totally forgot to look down my peep hole and I didn't line the shot up right. I pulled it about 6 inches left, and I nailed the tree.

In hindsight I was sorta glad I missed because it was a young deer. I don't shoot spikes while gun hunting, but I am determined to get something down with the bow this year. I know I will be better off for the miss, as I will always take my time with the shot from now on, but it still sucks!

Great hunt either way and I can't wait to get back out there!

Later,

MDH

See less See more
#2 ·
At least it was a clean miss. My first bow shot ever at a deer was a miss too. After the shot I had no recollection what I did because I never went through my steps.
Next time a spike or something you're not going to shoot comes through simulate a shot (obviously short of releasing).
I have condensed my shot into 5 sequential steps that memorized and I don't shoot my bow, practice or in the field without talking my way through each step.

#5 ·
Thanks fellas. I will be sure to follow my steps next time for sure. I know it's just a lack of experience that led to my mistake. I just gotta keep at it. I don't see a ton of deer where I hunt, so it was just exciting to have such a close encounter. A much better rush than when you're gun hunting for sure! (not that I'm throwing my gun away anytime soon!)

How do you guys sit when you hunt though? I had my bow on a hook, and luckily I saw the buck before he was close and I was able to grab it undetected. My next problem was how to stand up without him seeing me! I did that, but I was so nervous trying to stand up. I almost feel like if it was a mature deer he would have spotted me. Who knows. I have a lot to learn, that is for sure!

later,

MDH

#6 ·
I am left handed, so I keep my bow above my head on my right. When I need it I can reach behind me with my right hand and put my hand right into my wrist sling, the a little push up with my left hand under the bottom limb lifts the bow off the hook.

I always have my bow in my hand about 30 minutes before first light, you never know when you are going to find a deer sitting right in front of you as day breaks.

I spend most of my time in my stand standing up. But if for some reason I have a deer get close I can shoot sitting down to my right or in front of me. If the deer is to my left I just have to try to stand without being busted.

I think I am going with a tree saddle next year.

How do you guys sit when you hunt though? I had my bow on a hook, and luckily I saw the buck before he was close and I was able to grab it undetected. My next problem was how to stand up without him seeing me! I did that, but I was so nervous trying to stand up. I almost feel like if it was a mature deer he would have spotted me. Who knows. I have a lot to learn, that is for sure!

later,

MDH

#7 ·
My next problem was how to stand up without him seeing me! I did that, but I was so nervous trying to stand up.

MDH

I have shot most of my archery deer from a sitting position. I practice this way so it seems normal to me. I set up the stand so that my most likely shots will be in front of me and to the left. (I shoot right hannded.) I practice moving my right foot slowly to the far back right of the platform slowly. Then I can pivot on the seat toward the right and make a shot on the right hand side of the stand also.

Hope this helps.

#8 ·
Like radiohead and Fur-minator said, pratice sitting down. If your right handed you should be able to shoot straight in front of you and all the way to your left with out standinding up. And if your a lefty the same but the opposite direction. I'm right handed but I can shoot all the way from right to left with out standing up. Its just a matter of shifting your body on your seat for the shot.

The way I learned to shoot from left to right without standing is by putting a stand on a tree, a foot off the ground and practising. Like I said its a matter of shifting your body so half your a$@ is off the seat. It takes some time to get use to, but after awhile you'll get use to it.

#9 ·
... Its just a matter of shifting your body on your seat for the shot.

The way I learned to shoot from left to right without standing is by putting a stand on a tree, a foot off the ground and practising. Like I said its a matter of shifting your body so half your a$@ is off the seat. It takes some time to get use to, but after awhile you'll get use to it.
be advised, as rippinlipp states, practice this right side shot opportunity alot.

I shoot to the left sitting and prefer to stand and face the tree when shooting to the right side (right handed shooter). This way I am not contorting my body around by turning at the waist, and changing form. By turning around I am able to maintain proper form.

Also don't forget to bend at the waist and not let your bow arm drop instead, which will also mess with form (draw length).;)

#11 ·
Even though it was a miss, you'll remember that hunt the rest of your life. That's what makes bow-hunting so special. The deer are close and and there's little or no room for error. That is why practice is so important. You rehearse the shot over and over again. Next time, I bet you won't forget to look through the peep!

#12 ·
KS has a good point.

You should stand and face the tree for your right side shot (If your a righty) and get in the proper form for the shot. The reason I can get away with it is because I'm very flexible, and its a shot I've praticed for many years. I'm not saying I shot everytime to my right sitting down. I say most of the time I will stand, but theres those times when its easier for me to take that shot sitting down, especially when they appear out of nowhere from behind me and I don't have time to stand..

The main thing is to pratice, practice, practice

#13 ·
All great advice guys! I will be doing a lot more practicing as time goes on, and I'll take some of your ideas. I'm a left, so shooting to my right is easiest. I still have a gun rail on my stand that I need to take off I think. Then I can actually shoot sitting. We'll see.

Big Dave,

Good to hear from you. Good luck hunting this year, and maybe I'll see you on the ice again!

Later,

MDH

#14 ·
shake it off/ get back out there and take all that u learned from it and improve yourself. it was just practice for u, and thats how u prepare for the game! been bowhunting 20 years gone! and last mon/night had 9 deer at 20 yards didnt take 1 shot/because everyone was not what i wanted,( the shot) and i knew it ,because i had taken those shots before and missed! dont give up learn from it! good luck:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.