Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Looks like lots of snow. I pretty much stick to the groomed trails myself.
That area was near Rainbow lodge where the Duck Lake fire went through about 10 years ago so there were spots with no snow others areas with lots of snow. We ride with GPS so always looking for the untouched two tracks that hopefully don't always lead to a dead end.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yes I was going to mention that area as that’s where I was guessing pic was taken.I’ve been thru that area many times and twice this year . January trip and the most recent trip Thursday. Headed to Grand Marais from Paradise. Lots of fresh snow fell Wednesday night. I got stuck way down a two track once trying to turn around after everyone else behind me got stuck sooner. Luckily one buddy followed my tracks on foot to help me lift the sled out of the hole I dug and jumped on for the ride back out. Heavy four strokes not good for trail breaking. Although it was a 141” track. Probably good 4 to 5 feet of snow west of G.M. that year. Lesson learned

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Yea, we have a 141 4-stroke great trail sled and pretty good off trail as well until it gets stuck. We rode through the rainbow lodge area the year after the fire it was very eerie, miles and miles of standing burned black trees in a sea of pure white snow. Really miss getting gas there we could spent full days between there and the Whitefish point loop.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yes we were there before and after the fire and stopped at rainbow lodge for a lunch many times before it burned. I’m surprised the houses near the lake survived the fire. I replaced my Arctic Cat cross tour 141 this year with a ZR 7000 which has the yamaha 3 cylinder 4 stroke, and has the 137” track. 1400 miles this year so far.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts