Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hit a local sw trib for 2 1/2 hours today, finally got one:) she hit a size 8 hex, while fighting her my reel came apart??? dunno if it was a fluke or something is wrong with it, but anyways, the fish is swimming around, and im standing there with the line pinched to the rod , trying to fight the fish and put my reel back together at the same time, but fortunately a fellow sportsman held the line while i reassembled the reel, and i was back to fighting the fish. then it happened again! so i put the pieces of reel in my vest and fought it with me running towards/away from it for my drag:D i got some looks, but another helpful fisherman landed it for me in his net, all in all it turned out ok, although i'm not looking forward to having to take my brand-new(used twice) reel back...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
yay!:) :) :p :p :D :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it was a martin multiplier flyreel

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this wasn't my first steelie, just the first of the year

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Congrats on the hard earned fish.

I have the same exact reel, and it's in the box it came in, downstairs collecting dust. Been 2yrs since I last used it. It's been fixed twice, broke again and has not seen daylight since then.

The problem with mine was the C clip bent thus not allowing the handle to turn. Line could be pulled out, but not brought back in. Could you pull line out, but were not able to reel it in?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have caught hundreds of fish on the old martin, but i did have the handle fall off twice, while fighting a king, so i have been there, weird feeling in the middle of a fight with a nice fish and your reel falls apart..LOL:D

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Great Story...I think we all have had a deal with faulty gear while fighting a fish...most of them do not result in success like your story did....nice pic..was she already spawned out?

Marc

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the reel still lets like in and out w/the drag and handle, it just disassembled itself..as for the fish, she was partially spawned out, and i wouldnt have kept her, except for the fact that by the time i would have been able to relese her it may have been too late, and i havent had smoked steel in a while:D :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts