Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of anticipation and waiting, I zipped north out of Lansing Friday afternoon, popped up my tent on a patch of state land, and got out and did some hunting Saturday and Sunday. I was joined by my Dad (in-law, but just Dad for all I'm concerned) and a life-long grouse hunting buddy of his.

The area we decided to hunt has been dynamite for woodies in recent years, but despite its "perfect" grouse cover, I've only seen one or two there in hours and hours of hunting. Saturday started off no different. I had my limit of woodies in the first hour. I shot the first woody flush of the season, over a double point, no more than 100 yards from our campsite, while standing on the two-tracks! I'm not sure Dad had even loaded his gun yet.

After lunch we checked out some new cover nearby. That's when we started moving grouse! Certainly nothing to write home about, but I'd say we moved 12 birds in 3-4 hours of hunting. I say "moved" -- the birds were running and flushing far off. I didn't actually see a grouse on Saturday, just heard them flushing out of the back of the covers I was working!

GSP Connie on point--not a real staunch one...

Generally my GSP is ol' dependable, but I have to say that this weekend the EP was a rock-star. As hot as it was, the GSP was running right over birds, bumping as many as she pointed. The EP started off the same way, but seemed to learn from her mistakes. She slowed down, and by Sunday afternoon, was really working the running grouse -- pointing grouse and woodies from a good 20 feet away.

Saturday's Results:

On Sunday we got a late start, and it seemed like the woodies had moved on overnight. We had an occasional flush, but it was really slow. At one point, Dad and I doubled up on a woody, shooting it simultaniously from a 90 degree angle. Man, did those feathers fly!:yikes: Dad bagged a high-flying grouse (after Jim and I each took two shots and missed!). In the afternoon, things picked up, but the grouse tended to be in the thick stuff where you couldn't see your hand in front of your face, let alone shoot!

Sunday Morning Results -- The girls couldn't keep their eyes open:

At 4pm, we got back to camp without much to show for it. The guys threw some burgers on the grill, and the GSP was beat (I mean, tired!). I looked at them and said, "I came up here to get a grouse, guys. Nothing against your burgers, but I'm going back out." I took the EP.

Again, we started no more 100 yards from camp (in the other direction this time). We were in a fairly open area, with only an occasional popple or white pine, and knee to waist-high ferns. It was just carpeted with wintergreen berry. The EP was directly in front of me, going away when she went on point. As I caught up with her, she started working the running bird. She moved forward, circled to her left and went back on point looking back at me, 10-15 feet off to my left. At that moment, the ferns behind me to my right exploded! I spun around and shot, just as the bird reached a patch of thick white pines. I had a good look at it, but felt like I shot behind it. If the cover behind me had been thicker, I probably would have let it go, but I had a feeling that it had put back down in the open area. I called the dog over, and moved in the direction that I thought it had flown in. As we reached the pines, she locked up. I brought up my gun and waited. After a second, the dog's tail twitched. Then again. Then a full wag as she stepped forward and picked up my bird! I don't know how I got it, but somehow that golden BB found its mark! She turned and brought it to me. My first grouse ever, shot over some beautiful dog work at the end of a long weekend of hunting!

KW

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I have to say that this weekend the EP was a rock-star. As hot as it was, the GSP was running right over birds, bumping as many as she pointed. The EP started off the same way, but seemed to learn from her mistakes. She slowed down, and by Sunday afternoon, was really working the running grouse -- pointing grouse and woodies from a good 20 feet away.

The EP was directly in front of me, going away when she went on point. As I caught up with her, she started working the running bird. She moved forward, circled to her left and went back on point looking back at me, 10-15 feet off to my left. At that moment, the ferns behind me to my right exploded! I spun around and shot, just as the bird reached a patch of thick white pines. I had a good look at it, but felt like I shot behind it. If the cover behind me had been thicker, I probably would have let it go, but I had a feeling that it had put back down in the open area. I called the dog over, and moved in the direction that I thought it had flown in. As we reached the pines, she locked up. I brought up my gun and waited. After a second, the dog's tail twitched. Then again. Then a full wag as she stepped forward and picked up my bird! I don't know how I got it, but somehow that golden BB found its mark! She turned and brought it to me. My first grouse ever, shot over some beautiful dog work at the end of a long weekend of hunting!
KW
Ah yes, another rescued Pointer proves it can hunt and another Pointer believer is born. ;)

Nice work.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To top things off, we met a great bunch of guys Saturday morning. Four guys -- an older gentleman and his three middle-aged sons running four setters (which I won't hold against them). When I got back from my last hunt, they had rolled up to our camp in a golf cart with a cooler full of cold ones to share! Talk about the perfect end to a great weekend!

KW

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sounds like a great weekend of upland hunting. It has been nice, maybe a little warm for long days with the dog, but that will change soon! Thanks for sharing your hunt.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
That's awesome man! I had a feeling grouse breasts would be on the menu this fall and it's testament your your hard work and to your dedication to your dogs!

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts