Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made it out a little later than what I had anticipated today. But I made it! Have 45 acres behind the house I snare and set up the spots I had picked out. And also a few more I discovered while in the marsh. Am trying more open ground snaring this year than in years past. Set-up 23 sets and 90% were open ground with stakes (a anchor and a entanglement). Going down the road to another farm and behind a business on the edge of town and setting approx. 45 more or so tomorrow. Anyboby else out there open ground snaring more and more? I am seeing a lot of guys around me using natural entanglement sets in thicker cover. Thought I might get more fur this year at the start by avoiding these areas like the plague if possible. Will work into some slightly heavier cover when we have a foot or so of snow on the ground. Only been snaring a couple of years and am always willing to hear some others tips or advice. Also pulled 9 legholds that were under 8 to 10 " of water with a 1" or so of ice over them! Could not get them 2 days ago as I only had 10" high gore-tex boots on.

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
Let me say I have no problem with using snares for yotes and fox. What gets me is that sets for them can be set on open ground. For beaver I can not set a snare unless it is set under ice. It does not make sence to me.

I have used snares under special permit when trapping for the road commission to remove problem beaver. They work in places where it is hard to set a trap of any sort. On a drownder slide the are a great tool yet I can't use them unless they are under ice. A beaver snare is less likely to catch a non target animal than one set in the woods or fields.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts