Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made it out for about an hour today before dark on a lake north of Grand Rapids. This lake has treated me well in the past and I was hoping today would be no exception. I originally was worried about ice thickness, but after drilling 10 or so holes, the average thickness ranged anywhere from 4-5 inches. Well, I caught a couple small ones before sunset and thought about packing it in, but decided to fish until dark. Well, the fishing picked up and I iced around 6-8 nice size gills and specks in quick sucession before my hands froze. Since I forgot a lantern and it was getting dark fast, I packed my fish and gear into the bucket and started towards my car.

I made it about halfway back when all of a sudden the slush beneath the snow went from an inch to about 4 inches. I slowed my walk down as soon as I felt the difference but it was too little too late. I took one more step and went straight through. As I was going down I dropped my bucket and auger onto the surrounding ice, and tried stop myself from going completely through. Thanks to God, it worked and I only went in up to my waste before pulling myself out. Well, now my auger and half my fish were on the opposite side of the hole from where I was, but I decided I'de rather walk out with my life then a couple more fish and an auger. I retraced my steps and left the exact way I came.

So, if any of you see an auger laying out on the ice in the middle of a Kent County lake, there is probably a hole right next to it that would accomodate a 5'11" person.

Be careful out there,
Ben

·
Registered
51 Posts
thank god is right !!!!!!!! glad your still here too tell the story we all have to remember its early yet and too use extreme caution when venturing out there !!!!!!!!! i'm in manistee county and the only lake i see safe is portage in onekama about dozen guys out there today i agree with the spud spud spud all the way .....

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you don't mind me inquiring, what lake was it? I completely understand if you desire to keep a hotspot, so don't feel obligated to give up info. I just want to make sure I don't choose the wrong lake.:tdo12:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Ben.

You might want to inform the County/City officials about your accident. Reason being if somebody sees your gear next to a hole in the ice, they will be diving for your body in short order. This happened to me when I crossed the Ontanogon River in my waders to get to a secluded swamp, when I was deer hunting a few years ago. Somebody seen the slide marks off the bank and down to the river, and assumed I had fallen in and drowned. Having a State Trooper and C.O. Calling your name in the swamp on a Bull Horn on opening day, is the utmost embarrassment and a terrible waste of taxpayers money believe me. :rolleyes: I ended up shooting a nice 6 point in that swamp, but both my cunning and my bragging rights at the local bar, were spoiled by my hunting buds and the "Bull Horn" story. I actually met guys in these bars (mostly drunk) who swear they heard that bull horn 35 miles away. :rant:

·
Banned
9,792 Posts
Silversides your a lucky man that you got out and didnt go all the way through,smart thinking that you did using your auger to wedge you like the way you did.I never trust ice thats covered with snow especialy when it hasnt been long since things froze.Heavy snow on top of newly formed ice is dangerous.Glad you made it back to warn others.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Walleye Express and others,
You bring up a very good point about calling the authorities to let them know that I indeed did not drown. However, with the help of a couple other people , I am going to try and retrieve the auger early tomorrow morning (before anyone sees it out on the ice). Thanks for the replies, and remember to stay safe.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Glad to see you're alright Ben. I'd much rather see your pic in the press with a couple salmon than with an obit!

Also, thanks to you Walleye Express. I would've never considered making that call. But on the flip side, if I saw equipment and no fisherman, then I'd definitely call to report it.

Sid

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Glad to hear your save at home!! We all need to be careful out there...I know I love the Lazer augers...but at first Ice time...I leave it at home and only travel with the spud...throwing it every step!!!

·
Premium Member
10,897 Posts
Was this on Morrison Lake? Just heard on the news they are looking for a fisherman that may have went in. They said his equirment was sitting on the ice. Glad that you made it out.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Silversides...yeah, if you get a minute, let us know if it was Morrison Lake that you were out on. Thanks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, I went through on McArthy Lake. I hope that guy is alright though.

We went back this morning and successfully retrieved the auger. The slush that was on the ice yesterday, was completely frozen this morning. Lets hope it stays as cold as it was last night.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
I fell thru cranberry lk. 2 years ago, I got wet to my ears. I broke ice twice trying to get out, it was the worst I've ever been thru the ice and I've fell thru A few times. I called the State police and the kent county sherrif dept asking them to mark the spot, went back to the lake 2 days later and went out and marked the hole myself, it was a big hole. The rest of the lake had atleast 12" of ice on it ??? I don't know what I stepped in but it was big,deep and COLD!! It supprised me they did not mark the hole.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts