Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Well, I decided to try turkey hunting this year for the first time and got lucky enough to draw a tag for the first hunt in our area (F). Been reading up on here and a few magazines and practicing calling a little bit. I asked my 7 yr old son if he wanted to go with dad to try for a turkey this last weekend. He said yes and I told him I would get him excused for last Friday and we would head up to the house on Thursday night and hunt Fri, sat, and sun. I only had three days to work with since I had already spent a week of vacation on Easter break when I had the kids. Divorced dad here trying to make due with what time I have. My son’s name is Jacob and he has been having a real hard time since his mother and I split up a little over a year ago. He had lost that little boy twinkle in his eye since then and has taken it all pretty hard. Mom and I try to keep him busy and nothing has seemed to snap him out of his depression. Well, anyways Thursday night comes and we are on our way. He was pretty excited and so was I. We got to the lake house in Greenbush and got settled in. Friday morning comes and brings wet weather, so we spent most of the day in the pop up blind on a travel route I see turkeys on all the time behind the house. To no avail, we spent about 13 hours in the woods and we were both pretty worn out. Saturday morning comes and my lil man is in rough shape. He is coughing a little and really worn out, so we skipped and slept in, I did not want him too run down and end up getting really sick. So I went out back having a coffee, and wouldn’t ya know it at about 830 am there they were back by our blind. Could not see them, but boy ya sure could here the ruckous. So, I went and got my son and we decided we were gonna sneak out and give it a try. Well by the time we got out, the birds had already moved off. We spent the day in the blind and moving from here to there with no luck, but found a bunch of feathers where apparently two birds decided to go at each other. Sunday morning comes and Jacob is not feeling well again. So I asked him if he wanted to stay in bed and dad would come back in and get him in a couple of hours after he got some more rest. He looked me square in the eye and said ‘ Daddy, I can sleep in the tent (pop up blind) just like I can sleep in bed, don’t you leave me behind’ So with a surprised look I said ok, we got dressed and got out there around 615 am. Well, like he had said, he did. Jacob fell asleep for about an hour and I woke him up to look at a deer walking past our blind and he was really excited. He fell back asleep, and I started to call a lil bit. Heard a few gobbles way off, nothing close. Jake woke back up at around 815 am and he asked if we could go and walk around. I explained to him, it was not a good idea since the day before there were turkeys right here at this time. He looked a little sad but said ok. Jake started to mess with his box call and it actually sounded halfway decent. I took a look behind the blind and guess what, 6 turkeys were making there way down the trail in the oaks, 15 yards behind us. I told Jake to get ready and be quiet and still……the turkeys are here and coming. The first two were hens followed by 4 jakes. I sized up the Jakes and decided to take the last bird which was the biggest with the largest beard. I asked Jake if he wanted to try to take the shot, he declined said he did not want to miss and was scared a lil to shoot dad’s gun. I said ok, by then the birds were even on our right with no time to get the window open. So I told Jacob to plug his ears dad is gonna shoot right thru the screen window. He got ready and I leveled off and took the shot and at 12 yards dusted that bird hard. We ran out of the blind and got to the bird and it was all over. My son was coming unglued happy, and so was dad. The bird was really nice. Almost 18 lbs, just a three inch beard with no spurs to speak of. But it was my first, as well as my son’s. He gave me a great big hug and said he wants to hunt all the time now and his dad was the best. Man, it was great. Best thing of all you guys………sorry getting choked up here, my lil man got his twinkle back in his eyes……thanks for everything you guys.

Dean

will post picks when I get them on here

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
great story and congrates on your first bird! still havent gotten mine:rant: my son and i have been hunting together since he has 3 and every trip that we go out is the best trip! so i know how your feeling! hope to get our 1st bird this week end:)

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here we are, look at my lil man's smile!

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx fellas!

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Nice story and outstanding pics!!

Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Fantastic story, and congrats to you and your little hunting partner!

I look forward to the day of being able to share the same experience with my little one.

Congrats again!

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got a copy of the local paper here. My friends father writes for the outdoor section of it. I sent him a picture of Jacob with the turkey and copy of the story, well he had it printed and was in the paper today! Man, is my lil guy totally fired up! He is walking around the house with it right now and won't put it down...lol....he is taking it to school tomorrow. You all would be cracking up, he is as proud as a peacock sticking his lil chest out and a big ole cheesy smile!! Lol, take care fellas!

Dean

1 - 16 of 16 Posts