Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have not been in the woods for 30 days ,to hot, to wet, two hospital stays .
First one for Diverticulitis, 3 days. I would not wish this on my worst enemy.
The second stay was for 5 days. I'll leave it that. finally had a little cool spell.
Nothing real fresh to speak of , a lot of shrooms to far gone, until i found this
little hen, starting to dry out a bit but took it home anyways. Flower Plant Groundcover Petal Flowering plant

·
Woods and Water Rat
21,657 Posts
Did my first walk a couple days ago. A good rain and it should kick-starts things. Hoping for mild temps to keep the bugs down.

I ain't askin' for much....mm-hmm ♪♪

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have been looking for this mushroom for three years now and only have found one old specimen that hasn't returned. Can you guys that find them regularly tell me if it's a certain type of Oak tree they are found around? Is it usually well shaded areas? Is the ground void of other vegetation or can they be hidden by grasses/ferns? Thanks for help you can provide.

·
Woods and Water Rat
21,657 Posts
I have been looking for this mushroom for three years now and only have found one old specimen that hasn't returned. Can you guys that find them regularly tell me if it's a certain type of Oak tree they are found around? Is it usually well shaded areas? Is the ground void of other vegetation or can they be hidden by grasses/ferns? Thanks for help you can provide.
I idendity the trees as black oak that I find em on, almost exclusively. Hard to tell what the couple rotted stumps were I have found some on.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found quite a few today, i did not cut most of them due to a smallish size, Found one tree that had 13 hens growing
around its base. I made a 33 second video cant figure out how to post it. My first attempt on the video ended up only
being only 4 seconds, tripped on a branch as i was walking around the tree and my finger came of the button. I ended up
cutting about 5 of them checked my phone camera and saw what happened.
Plant community Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Bedrock

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've been getting lots of fresh chickens last few days, but have not seen any hens yet or honeys. The order I normally see them coming out are chickens, then honey's and lastly hens, but they all overlap each other to some extent.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Found quite a few today, i did not cut most of them due to a smallish size, Found one tree that had 13 hens growing
around its base. I made a 33 second video cant figure out how to post it. My first attempt on the video ended up only
being only 4 seconds, tripped on a branch as i was walking around the tree and my finger came of the button. I ended up
cutting about 5 of them checked my phone camera and saw what happened. View attachment 787125
Be careful how you post, other posts said your Camera could have location posted on it, making it easy for others to see where their located. Just sayin

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I picked lots of honeys the week surrounding Labor Day in Ogemaw County. Been checking my chick and hen areas in Oakland county and no luck so for other than some old chickens. Usually do very good with both. My hen spots tend to run a bit late, so still holding out hope.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts