Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:):):)Well after a long winter I got out for my first hunt. Saturday was a long day to say the least, I hit one of my tried and true covers and for the effort of 3 hours of hunting got a big goose egg. Between 8-10:30 I only heard approximately 8-9 shots so decided to move to other covers down the road. Well I got to the head of the trail and it was wet, I decided to try to go around the puddle, well you guessed I ended up stuck in the mud in the woods, after and hour of trying to get myself out, I had to call my uncle to pull me out. For his help I took him and my aunt to lunch. After lunch 2 more hours of hunting with not even a woodcock moved. Decided to go a little farther north to the family house on the lake to spend the night. The next day got a late start and hit a small covert by the cabin and flushed 2 grouse and a woodcock with one shot taken still no luck. On the way home did a little scouting for future hunts and decided to hit my first area again but a new covert, after twenty minutes hit an aspen stand in the middle of a swampy area, and the dog got birdy grouse flushed wild and I took a shot, didn't think that I hit it but the dog came back a proud as hell with a flopping grouse in her mouth, can't even say how excited I was after hunting hard all last season and only getting a couple woodcock. The dog did well still need to work on her range a little bit she does fine in open cover quatering about 25yards in the thick stuff she likes to roam a bit. I also met North East Michigan Sportsman and had a beer with him and Doug, Andy and Barb nice to meet all of you! Well really long winded but wanted tell all of you

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Great story. Grouse are the king of gamebirds. Each one is special.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Good job on the grouse! I would have met you too, but I had to leave Friday night after dinner.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
congrats
I wiffed my easy shot. and never saw an other bird. but it was a wonderful day spent with my dad and my dog. I have been a little worried about Taz,s legs after the last years but he hunted all day and worked hard. this was our test now bring em on:D

·
Registered
498 Posts
I also got the truck very stuck this weekend. Luckily there were some guys w/ jacked up trucks muddin' in the area and they promptly yanked me out (a chevy pulled out the ford).

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Nice work, hopefully the next one comes easier. congrats

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Good job! Each one is a trophy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts