Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have hunted ducks for quite a few years now but am wanting to get into goose hunting. Where are the best public lands to give it a shot? I am in the macomb area. Just picked up my first set of decoys and call. Have been practicing for about a week. i am a experienced waterfowler so anty info would be truly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
As far as what public lands would be good by you I really can't say.For what's it worth I'd say this.
With one set of dekes and no private lands, I would water hunt them.If your decoys are floaters set up where you've been duck hunting and try and pic up some singles,stragglers..mabye even get lucky and land a flock that really wants to rest.
Even if they're field decoys you can set them on shore or real shallow water and give a honk or two when you see some birds.It can be pretty good in the afternoon when they're looking for a place to land anyway.
Even if you had a field to hunt I would say you'll need to buy some more stuff ;)
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Here a couple more cents, For goose hunting private land is where its at. Right now the geese are using corn fields. About a hour before dark drive around looking for flocks of birds. Once you see them, run them down and find out where they are going. Knock on a few doors and try to get permission. Right now all the crops are off and the farmers are more willing to give you permission. Its easy to say knock on there doors, at first its hard to get the nerve to ask these guys to let you hunt there land. But make sure you tell them GEESE only. You will get turned down 10 time for every one you score. When you do get a good field, be respectful of his land. Now that you have a shoe in with the guy, remember its holiday time. A nice card or something nicer thanking him for letting you hunt will go along way. From there build a friendship. Sooner or later he will expect you are coming back and he will have reports of geese using his fields and sometime they will call you "Hey get out here there's geese out in my fields" (this is years later) This is how it works, lots of work now produces 10 fold later. I started with no permission on private land. Today I have sole access to thousands of acres of private land. It all depends how serious you take it. You can do it with a little time and effort.

Kevlar

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Kevlar is absolutely right.

Be willing to become friends with the farmers, a 12 pack and a stick of goose sausage can go a long way. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts