Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long did it take you to get your first deer and how old were you?

I am 25 now and just started seriously hunting this year but spent some time in the woods the previous 2 seasons as well. So my answer is ___ for how old and going on 3 years for my first but I hope to end that before the season is over. I have yet to get my first deer (http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/threads/61-days-into-the-season-im-deerless.553010/)

I am not giving up this December however I haven't seen a deer since Nov 30th...just trying to get meat in the freezer but curious to how old and how long it took people for their first?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Haha... man, well i'm not trying to rub it in or anything...

My first time after going out seriously hunting at age 28, 4 years ago, I was up in the thumb for firearms opener. This was my first time hunting with my dad, uncle, and cousins. On opening day I shot a doe in the AM and then an 8pt at in the PM.

So it took me about 1.5 hrs, at age 28, to hammer my first deer.

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Haha... man, well i'm not trying to rub it in or anything...

My first time after going out seriously hunting at age 28, 4 years ago, I was up in the thumb for firearms opener. This was my first time hunting with my dad, uncle, and cousins. On opening day I shot a doe in the AM and then an 8pt at in the PM.

So it took me about 1.5 hrs, at age 28, to hammer my first deer.

Don't feel bad Hockeyman...somebody tied both of them to trees for him. It still took him 1.5 hours and 4 shots to hit the first one.

I also hear there are pic's.....

(Kidding, of course....)

·
Registered
26,598 Posts
Too embarrassed to say. In the late 60s and early 70s deer numbers were very low, which didn't help.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
started hunting with my bow at age 12 (when you had to be 12 to hunt with a bow)
and shot a doe my first season - On public land by myself. It was an
awesome experience except when it was time to gut it and I didnt
know WTF I was doing so I drug it back 1 mile with its guts still in it.

I was totally out of gas. My dad burst out laughing when I came back
drenched in sweat, HAHA

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
Started November 15th 1980 and killed my first deer on Thanksgiving Day 1984. Had numerous opportunities during the first few years, all of which I managed to flub due to buck fever, poor decision making, etc.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Mine was when I was 15 and remember it like yesterday. I was sitting in a ground blind that I build. It was a cool spot in heavy cove It was a large broken oak that I move a ton of branches around. It was November 16th around 8am. I heard some movement and a doe came in on the trail and she was less than ten yards from me. She never saw/scented me and moved on. I was so excited to see a deer. Within a minute or two I heard more crunching and a buck appeared, head down, right on that doe. I saw antlers, pulled up my 20 gauge, aimed and fired. He mule kicked and ran off. I sat there stunned and then heard the sound that would become one of my favorites ever. The huge thud of a deer dropping in its tracks. I found him and got my little brother and we drug him back. My dad showed me what I needed to do to gut him. I shot four bucks out of that ground blind in the past. The area in now over grown but I still check it out every season. Memories....

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I was 15 with my bow (recurve). Nice plump button buck LOL took me a half hour..
My second took another year.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Don't feel bad Hockeyman...somebody tied both of them to trees for him. It still took him 1.5 hours and 4 shots to hit the first one.

I also hear there are pic's.....

(Kidding, of course....)
Of course there's pictures!

Still remember that day like it was yesterday. Got out with my Dad in our little chicken coop cum groundblind, overlooking what I now know is the best funnel on the property. It was like 30F out, and while layered up quite well was still chilly. After an hour of not seeing anything my dad hit the primos buck roar a couple of times. About 30 minutes later 2 doe came out into the plowed field about 100 yards from us. Since it was my first time deer hunting up there my Uncle waived his "bucks only on opening day morning rule". Dad told me to take one of them. I settled the 20ga h&r ultra slug gun on the window sill, put the crosshairs just behind the does shoulder and boom! Double lung pass through. She danced in a circle for a few seconds before laying down.

After lunch my Dad decided to go hunt a different property and I went and sat in the same blind for the afternoon hunt. I was on stand for a couple of hours when I saw two doe scramble out of the adjacent woodlot. They looked really nervous, and kept looking back into the woods. I watched them for a few minutes as they worked their way into the plowed field, continually looking behind them. Not but a couple of minutes later a nice little 8pt - my first buck - came out of the woodlot nose down. He got about 20 yards from the edge of the woods, and was about 125 yards from me, when I leveled the crosshair and let the h&r roar again. Dropped him where he stood.

Not bad for a first timer!! :D

Reactions: buck11pt24

·
Registered
9,362 Posts
Isn't amazing how you can remember details of a hunt that happened years ago but you can't remember to bring home milk?...Unreal isn't it?..What a real pastime!...Started bowhunting in 1980, shot my first dear Nov 15 1983 at 14 with a Browning 12 Gage..A half rack 6 pointer chasing a doe...Had the shakes for an hour!..."Inception of the obsession" happened that day...I thank my Dad for this disease!...lol

·
Premium Member
30,897 Posts
Nov. 15th 1979, I was 18 years old, I started when I was 14 in 1975.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Started November of 1989,I was 18.
Didn't see anything the first year but I was hooked just the same.
Killed my first deer the 3rd day of gun season,1990, a doe and got my first bow kill the following October.
Some years have been amazing, some very frustrating.
I've always hunted state land and I miss the old days when everybody went north and I had the southern woods to myself :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
I was 15, opening day of gun season, 1997. It was my second year of gun hunting and third year overall.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Shot my first doe after 4 years of hunting when I was 28. Was at our camp with my bud and I was in a small blind overlooking a thicket field. 5 does filtered in around 10 am and one healthy girl stopped at about 25 yards facing me with her front feet up on a grass clump like 'look at me - here I am....just pull the trigger'. So I did.....and after about and hour of searching realized I merely grazed her brisket and she was safe. Was so mad with myself I couldn't speak. Went back to camp and put up a target at 50 yds and punched 3 holes in the size of a half dollar. Yep, gun is fine......the fever had got me. Fast forward to that same evening and I meet my buddy at the two-track with about 5 mins of light and look behind me down the track as I pick up my bag. There's a doe - literally staring us down in the middle of the two-track. I level the .06 and drop her on the spot at about 125 yds. Go figure!

Reactions: d_rek

·
Registered
18,928 Posts
1979 or 80 maybe archery. A very big nontypical. About six years of actual hunting first.
While having been taken hunting for years before old enough to shoot, my first solo archery hunt I sat in a tall grass field and had to cant the long recurve to not hit the ground.
No deer around of course, not having scouted or observed from a distance first.
Gained each year by tracking deer and finding lightly hunted areas.
Was watching/hunting a brute I'd missed once already the same day I killed the nontypical who was with his occasional accomplice on private land in a swamp located in an interesting area that older deer used to bed and escape pressure..
The one I killed was not known of till a fellow hunter pushed him out of heavy cover.

Big bucks were the goal. Heck they were seen often enough, eventually. Just that pesky matter of closing the deal was needed...shake,shake,wobble, hold breath...:eek:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Took 2 years for the 1st one. Missed a doe fawn w/Bear metal tip cam bow that was like 60" ATA....lol

Button buck w/35 Remington on my Grandparents land in East Jordan when I was 14.

1st buck was 2 yrs later w/PSE Nova.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts