Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday and Saturday were not good hunting days. There were torrential rains and then cold wind. I stayed in and read my Kindle. Sunday the wind was calmer and still overcast but I could bundle up to stay comfortable in the woods.

I headed out on my ATV with my pop-up to set up inside the woodline of one of our fields. On the way out I decided to check my tree stand food plot to see if there was any sign of deer. I stayed away from it for a while because I had hunted there too often and the sun set many times without me seeing a deer.

When I saw a new scrape I unloaded my stuff at the tree stand and drove the ATV back to the trail and walked back in. I started to climb the ladder and realized I left my safety vest back at camp because I had no intention of climbing a tree when I first headed out. Instead of firing up the ATV again, I just walked back to camp to get it. It’s not that far. Got back to the woods and climbed the tree with my prussic knot and hoisted my 9 lb backpack up with the new ¼ inch nylon rope system my husband rigged for me. I’m not strong enough to lift the backpack and the bow at the same time so I make 2 trips. LOL. I then realized I had left my phone back at camp. Being without my phone in the woods, in a tree is not an option. Back down I went and walked back to camp once more. By the time I got to camp I had to change clothes because all that walking up and down hills is hard on this old girl and I knew I’d be freezing later if I stayed in sweaty clothes.

I gave up hunting early mornings mostly but I wasn’t expecting to waste so much time getting settled. It was noon by the time I looked at my watch and thought; I only have about 6 ½ hours to hunt.

Now you might remember that I have been experimenting with rests for my bow. I tried the Stoney Point Bi-pod, then the Primos Trigger stick and while they worked pretty well I preferred the Horton Knee Pod. I found the Horton Knee Pod doesn’t work as well in my tree because my seat is a bit higher and I have to grip the bow stock too firmly to make it comfortable for six hours.

Nothing was moving 3 hours into the hunt and I was thinking very hard on what I needed to rest my bow in a ready position and have a steady shooting rest. I came up with, and rejected, many ideas. Then I remembered that I saw someone suspend a strap from the ceiling of their gun blind to cradle the rifle stock with the barrel out the window so there would be a minimum of movement when a shot presented itself. I looked up and saw the nail sticking out of the branch above and in front of me that I used to hang my vertical bow on. I reached behind me and gathered my ¼ inch lift rope to loop it over the nail, put a loop in it and ran the rest of it back behind me so this loop is dangling right in front of me. I put my stirrup in the loop and after re-tying the loop a few times to get the perfect height, I had a perfect, movable, rest for my bow as well as a stabilizing shooting rest. I tested it out on all the possible shots that I had and I found that I could shoulder the bow and scope all of them. This was wonderful!! I could wedge the stock between the tree and my hip and have both hands free to …… well, blow a grunt call, rattle, scratch my ear, etc. The loop would have no effect on the shot.

I was quite pleased with myself but by late afternoon I was beginning to think I wasn’t going to see anything AGAIN. An hour and 20 minutes before dark I looked to my left and expected to see another squirrel making the leaves rustle. It was a deer. I couldn’t see it that well for all the brush but figured it was a doe and that was fine. I was after venison and the only thing I wasn’t going to shoot was a fawn so I put my hands in position and waited. I think I had ranged every twig and tree in the last few weeks so I would know how far anything would be if it showed up. When the deer walked in front of me and stopped to nibble the brassica it was a 4 point and it was 20 yards. I held the crosshairs on a spot just behind the shoulder. (I love that silent safety!) I squeezed the trigger and watched through the scope as the arrow disappeared into the deer.

Sorry for the crappy pics. I wanted you to see what my little 100 gr SlickTricks do when they connect. Awesome blood trail!

He did go quite a ways (about 150 yards) because I pushed him. I just didn’t want my poor husband to have to collect him in the dark. There are 3 ridges in front of my blind and he went to the 3rd one.

·
Administrator
17,653 Posts
Great Story
Congrats on a fine deer!
<----<<<

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Congratulations again on the fine deer and the very inventive idea. You do the crossbow community proud:D

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Congrats young lady.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
Great story! Congrats on your first crossbow buck, good job!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Awesome...story, I also liked the way you thought ahead & came up with the rest. Congradulations on a hard earned deer!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Once again, congratulations Laura.

For those who are not familiar, this young lady is certainly not new to this game. She is an excellent hunter and does much more than hunt with crossbows. She is probably more active than most outdoors people. One fine hunter indeed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts