Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my first Coyote Tourney this weekend. Man I hope this OLD body can keep up with 6 inches of snow, brutal cold, and hunting from Friday at 7:00-Sunday 10:00. Has anybody else been in one of these? I am quite excited to get out hunting for sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In my first Coyote Tourney this weekend. Man I hope this OLD body can keep up with 6 inches of snow, brutal cold, and hunting from Friday at 7:00-Sunday 10:00. Has anybody else been in one of these? I am quite excited to get out hunting for sure.
My buddies son took big coyote for tournament . Sounds like 85 hunters and 33 coyotes . Sounds like a pretty good turn out . Be a lot more fawns running around for whitetail hunters.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I am 64 and the last 2 years have been hard to keep up. I hunt with Rob and he is younger than I am and keeps me in shape as best as a 64 year old that sits behind a computer all day can be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you doing the dog down tournament???

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you're running dogs on public land adjacent to private property keep in mind that many people raise livestock. Yesterday east of Hadley hills, part of the Ortonville Recreation Area a Shorthair killed 4 of my laying hens and one female duck. Also one mean rooster. Those Birds just started laying in October so they had a long ways to go. That's 150 dozen eggs or about $600 in Revenue. I was able to get the dog chained up before he killed more and his owner found him by GPS with feathers in his mouth in my barn. I understand the dogs will be dogs and stuff happens but I would ask the people keep in mind that us farmers are already fighting coyotes, Hawks, raccoons, opossums

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is not a hunt with dogs, and that is WHY these hunts happen to get rid of coyotes, fox, raccoons and opossums.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Don’t worry. I’m sick so you’ll be able to keep up with at least one of your teammates. :)

·
Registered
896 Posts
We're getting hit pretty hard with the snow down here in Berrien. I don't know how it'll affect the coyotes and hunting them, but if I get out this weekend I'll for sure have the snow shoes on!

Good luck to all the teams, I may stop by Sunday to see the outcome...and price out a new bow :D

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holy smokes it was brutal!! We never cut a track, 16-24 inches of snow, did at least 14 sets with 7 hours sleep. 15 dogs killed, one group had 3, and 2-3 others had 2, so out of 65 teams, that sucked!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Holy smokes it was brutal!! We never cut a track, 16-24 inches of snow, did at least 14 sets with 7 hours sleep. 15 dogs killed, one group had 3, and 2-3 others had 2, so out of 65 teams, that sucked!!!
We did 11 sets and used snow shoes. The snow depth really sucked. Both nights were beautiful, really didn't need lights. Just nothing to see.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I was working in the fur shed Saturday night and I heard one distant shot maybe 10-10:30. Figured it was one of the hunters from the tournament.
Coyote numbers are down in my area of the southwest. Still pockets of good numbers but a lot of areas they seem to have disappeared.
I'm trapping several areas and places where I usually cut fresh tracks every day I have not cut one set of tracks all season. I don't know what happened but the population seems quite low.
I have a carcus dump at one property where I usually get lots of coyote visitors and they just are not there. Pile of rats has been there over 2 weeks. Last season they were gone overnight.
Maybe the fox population will come back.

·
Registered
26,512 Posts
I was working in the fur shed Saturday night and I heard one distant shot maybe 10-10:30. Figured it was one of the hunters from the tournament.
Coyote numbers are down in my area of the southwest. Still pockets of good numbers but a lot of areas they seem to have disappeared.
I'm trapping several areas and places where I usually cut fresh tracks every day I have not cut one set of tracks all season. I don't know what happened but the population seems quite low.
I have a carcus dump at one property where I usually get lots of coyote visitors and they just are not there. Pile of rats has been there over 2 weeks. Last season they were gone overnight.
Maybe the fox population will come back.

Distemper, mange, parvo?

I like fox much better than coyotes :)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've seen no evidence of disease but I didn't trap coyotes last year. The ones I caught this season were all healthy.
I did hear of a couple south of battle creek that were mangy back in early Jan. Second hand information so take that for what it's worth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts