Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and checked our traps today. Nothing in the first three, got to the fourth and there was a grey squirrel in it. Cought by both front and back left feet. It was cought it in a #2 Duke with a drag it did not pull it out but tangled its self up in the grass pretty good. Unfortunately it was already dead. After reseting the trap I went on to the other traps nothing in the next two but I got to the last trap (A dirt hole with a old 5 gallon bucket for a backer) and there was a coon inside the bucket. Really cool, got some cool pictures. Unfortunately my parents are in FL with our camera so I had to use my girlfriends camera and dont have the right cable to move the pictures to the computer but will get them on A.S.A.P.

-Psebuckmaster17-

·
Super Moderator
6,907 Posts
congrats on the coon. i have one dirthole set that was on a bank along the swamp that i caught 4 squirrels in this year. after watching this area during gun season i noticed them running this bank edge.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah this weather seems to have them on the move. Seems like there up by NC more then down here. Hopefully we catch a coyote or two to put a good end to a great season. Maybe when the snow break for a while (Late Febuary, Early March) we will get some more traps up north. Then we may have a better chance.

-Psebuckmaster17-

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Congratulations on your first coon!

I doubt that they are moving more up here than down by you, its probably just the habitat that I am trapping.....creek bottoms.

How big is the coon....did you wiegh it?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NC,

Yes I did weigh it, it weighed 16.7 lbs not sure if this is big or not. Do you know the average weight. Fur looks great and it will be a great wall hanger.

-Psebuckmaster17-

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I dont claim to be an expert on coon, but I consider anything over 20-pounds to be "biggun". I hear of 30+ pounders, too....especially from upland habitat.

I'd say that your coon is darn nice, something to be very proud of!

·
Registered
719 Posts
My son and I had a coon last night that was 29 lbs. We have had a little luck this week.
1 grey fox
2 coons
1 opossum
1 muskrat
All since Sunday which is great for us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts