Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the last couple winters has taken its toll on deer in my neck of the woods. I didn't notice a decline last year, but this year there were very few fawns on my first pull and the deer were skinny.

·
Premium Member
30,911 Posts
I seldom, if ever, get fawns on cam before 4th of July and the does they're with are all thin with ribs showing, likely due to feeding the hungry little buggers.

·
Premium Member
30,911 Posts
All of these taken mid July or later

Attachments

Reactions: Crawfish

·
Premium Member
8,091 Posts
Paw Paw is in snow country. I do know now where Vermontville is so I can not make the comparison to snow.

It will be interesting to see the comparison of your pictures this year to last. QDMAMAN.

·
Premium Member
30,911 Posts
Paw Paw is in snow country. I do know now where Vermontville is so I can not make the comparison to snow.

It will be interesting to see the comparison of your pictures this year to last. QDMAMAN.

Difference between Paw Paw and Vermontville is negligible 66" vs 43" annually.
There's no question that the last 2 winters in Vermontville have been harder than "normal" but nowhere near bad enough to tap any reserves our deer accumulate. I suspect the same is true around Paw Paw.
What I have noticed regularly are does that are feeding multiple fawns tend to be considerably skinnier than does with one or none but they quickly plump up in the late summer early fall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts