Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three friends of mine joined my dad and me for a Thanksgiving morning hunt in 1984. We had all played basketball together for years but this was our first time hunting with each other.

We sat until about 9 am and then jumped in a couple trucks and went over to a 40 acre patch of brush and tall weeds that we called "Boyd's." We put three standers in place and my dad and I were the drivers. I'd estimate that we had previously done deer drives at Boyd's probably 8-10 times/season in previous years but we had yet to take a buck out of there.

Near the end of the drive I paused and a few pheasants took off. A second later a buck jumped up that had been bedded just a few yards away from where I was standing. The buck took off in the direction that we had just come from and thus presented me with a safe shot direction. I pulled up and shot and, much to my surprise, the buck dropped to the ground. I hurried over and put a finishing shot on him.

There was a lot of celebrating for the next few minutes, and then we got the deer dressed and loaded up and realized that we still had time for another drive.

We went about a 1/2 mile south to a 60 acre woodlot and again got our standers in place and my dad and I started through. A few minutes after we started we heard a shot from my friend who is now my brother in law(we married sisters). He hit the deer hard and we found it a short distance away in a fencerow where he finished it off.

Lest anyone miss the point I don't care about anyone's opinions about deer drives. Resist the urge on this thread to preach any theories about deer drives - start a different thread if you're not psychologically equipped for such a reality. This post is not about deer drives - it's simply a post about how my brother in law and I got out our first bucks many years ago.

One of the best hunting days of my life. Great memories.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Cool story. Very neat you both got your first bucks the same day and then ended up being BIL's. I haven't been on a deer drive in years but I always had fun when we did them!!

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool story. Very neat you both got your first bucks the same day and then ended up being BIL's. I haven't been on a deer drive in years but I always had fun when we did them!!
We had never hunted with our other two friends before that day, but he and I had hunted hard for a good number of years. We grew up in a culture where we didn't shoot does, and so it was bucks only, and in a few cases we went an entire season with even seeing a single buck.

On top of that, I'd had several opportunities the previous season and had completely muffed them due to buck fever taking control of my brain and body.

When we killed those two bucks it would be difficult to exaggerate how good that made us feel. One of the best natural highs I've ever experienced.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
We had never hunted with our other two friends before that day, but he and I had hunted hard for a good number of years. We grew up in a culture where we didn't shoot does, and so it was bucks only, and in a few cases we went an entire season with even seeing a single buck.

On top of that, I'd had several opportunities the previous season and had completely muffed them due to buck fever taking control of my brain and body.

When we killed those two bucks it would be difficult to exaggerate how good that made us feel. One of the best natural highs I've ever experienced.
I can tell just by the way you are writing this that you can remember that day like it was yesterday. Isn't that what hunting is all about!! I like you also grew up in a family that didn't like shooting does. Really made them mad when my first deer was a yearling doe :lol: Congrats again on some great memories.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Nice story. I shot a one antlered buck in 1984, he proceded to run into a tree while running and broke the other antler off.

Great pictures, which one is you?

·
Premium Member
3,577 Posts
Good story and pics. Thanks for sharing!

Back then you had to do deer drives. Because with boots and pants like that you were freezing after 30mins.:lol:

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
Nice,I love those old Deer camp pics!

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good story and pics. Thanks for sharing!

Back then you had to do deer drives. Because with boots and pants like that you were freezing after 30mins.:lol:
Ain't that the truth. We used to put on three pairs of socks in order to try to keep our feet warm - it never occurred to us that cutting off circulation to our feet wasn't a good thing :p.

·
Registered
35,750 Posts
Great story Jeff. Thanks for sharing.

As for driving deer it's a time honored practice that's put plenty if meat on the table. Thanksgiving was always a great weekend to drive deer.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Great story November and cpl of nice first bucks for you both. We're these taken from the area we both hunt now around Albion? I'm really curious how it was back in the 80s I didn't start hunting Calhoun to early - mid 90s
Thanks for sharing
They were rutting pretty hard last wed night when I was out there , first time in little while I've seen them hot on does that late in nov.. You been back out if so any snow on ground?

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great story November and cpl of nice first bucks for you both. We're these taken from the area we both hunt now around Albion? I'm really curious how it was back in the 80s I didn't start hunting Calhoun to early - mid 90s
Thanks for sharing
They were rutting pretty hard last wed night when I was out there , first time in little while I've seen them hot on does that late in nov.. You been back out if so any snow on ground?
Both of those deer were taken north of Eaton Rapids on Canal Rd. I just drove by there yesterday and it put me into reminiscing mode.

I only hunted Calhoun a little bit in the mid to late 80's. There were a lot more deer there than in Eaton County but the deer numbers in Calhoun didn't truly explode until the early to mid 90's. When we started hunting there regularly in '99 there were deer everywhere.

No snow on the ground in Calhoun as of yesterday afternoon, but there may have been a little accumulation last night.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Can I please be 'that guy' on this thread? :D I dont see tags on the deer and some of the guys dont have orange on...:p

I always wanted to be 'that guy' on one of these threads, my goal is complete now...

Looks like some fun times NS, thanks for posting the thread.

·
Premium Member
5,603 Posts
Laughing about being cold from being poorly dressed. I remember well the days of jeans, cotton longjohns and rubber boots. Lord was that cold!:lol:

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Brings back some memories. My high school buds and I used to do deer drives back in the early 80's too. Had some great stories and we probably looked a lot like the pics you posted. A bunch of young guys and some dead deer. Haven't done a deer drive in 20 years but we sure had fun in those days and filled a lot of tags that way. We sure had a lot more property to hunt back in those days too, the majority of it is houses and subdivisions today.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Wow great minds think a like Huh? I hadn't seen this until after I posted mine. Great story. I miss the old deer drives. Social hunting is so much fun. We get to do it with our coyote and hound hunts but its not deer hunting. We'd have many similar pictures if you thumbed back a few pages in our hunting books.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Both of those deer were taken north of Eaton Rapids on Canal Rd. I just drove by there yesterday and it put me into reminiscing mode.

I only hunted Calhoun a little bit in the mid to late 80's. There were a lot more deer there than in Eaton County but the deer numbers in Calhoun didn't truly explode until the early to mid 90's. When we started hunting there regularly in '99 there were deer everywhere.

No snow on the ground in Calhoun as of yesterday afternoon, but there may have been a little accumulation last night.
No accumulation in Calhoun. I was lucky enough to harvest a deer last night only to have it turn to a hard sleet right after I shot. Everything coated in ice made for an interesting recovery and an even more interesting drive home. Everything is clear today. Bare ground.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts