Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took my 6 month lab to pheasant ridge today. Paid to have 5 chuckars put out. The guy there put out the 5 birds and marked where they were with a clothes pin and ribbon. My intention was to shoot off some poppers after she flushed and started chasing them. The owner told me to take a few of his 6 shot shells just incase. After the first few flushes the poppers just weren't enough( i think a cap gun was louder) so I threw in one of his shells and on to the next bird. The last two birds we flushed up and I shot them both, dog brought both back to hand . It was an awesome day in the field!

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Nice pup!

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Good job! ;);)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone...I was nervous about this day before I even picked her up hoping she wouldn't be gun shy.. She LOVES birds so it was pretty easy

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
glad it worked out, had you worked up to the gun ? dummy launcher, or distance work around gun fire?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sent her to dale at HRK when she was 16 weeks old.. He put her on quail and just got her to love birds and know her job was to find birds. I'm sure she heard shooting from her kennel when she was there. I just use my cap gun while I'm at home, my wife found some extra loud ones. When we were at the preserve the caps were louder then the poppers. I could just tell she was ready after the first 3 birds she goes all out once she picks up the scent and once she flushes she will chase the bird for what seems like a very long ways. Like I said she LOVES birds and once they are like that I don't think they even notice the gun go off at all. So it all worked out

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Very cool!!! Love it when things go as planned.

Curious where you hunted at? Have a young dog and would like to keep at it myself.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Thanks everyone...I was nervous about this day before I even picked her up hoping she wouldn't be gun shy.. She LOVES birds so it was pretty easy

Earlier I congratulated you on a initial first outing. Now is the time to give your pup some balance and preparation for future outings. Birds and gunfire are important aspect to developing a hunting companion, however they are not the only stimulating factors in really getting all your dog could be.
Doing some simple yard work with bumpers and even some place board training will help reduce and eliminate future problems that may raise their ugly head.
Sloppy retrieves and control issues are the first two that come mine. The excitement of the hunt can and will have a detrimental effect on those behaviors that are those items that are our idea and not the idea of a bird crazy retriever.
Best of luck with your girl dog

1 - 17 of 17 Posts