Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today was bittersweet. Went out to check my traps and found two of them stolen. I ran into a guy the other day that talked to me for a second while i was checking my traps, I'd hate to think it was him but he did see where the NOW gone trap was. I did however connect on my first beaver though. Not a real big one but I was still pumped. I didn't weigh it but figured it was around 15 to 18 pounds. On the way home i made a call to a friend who gave me permission to trap his property for yotes, the nice thing is its closer, private, and more canines.

NC.......I WIN!! :lol: :lol: Just joking with ya!
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FB,
Where can I get a big trap for that last low life critter? Maybe a game camera. I guess the only good thing was they were only a $3 conibear and 1 1/2 coil spring, guess I only lost about $10, but it was $10 lost nonetheless. Did you try the beaver legs yet??? How big would you guess that beaver I got was?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
There is "NO LIMIT" on thieves in the Outdoors. Trap thieves, tree stand thieves, any of them :rant: And they taste just like chicken :evilsmile Or so I'm told. FRANK

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Congratulations Cap'n !!!! :D

But hey, its no fair claiming a win in our race for the first beaver, cuz I havent even made my set yet! Cant get out there till Sunday.

Too bad about your traps. Were there boot prints? If you have good quality tracks, I wouldnt hesitate to photo them or even cast them in plaster. I would hunt a trap thief harder than the canines.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NC,
We will start the race Sunday. Ha ha!! I am pissed about the traps but I've decided to pull out of that spot anyway.....except for beaver. I found some really good spots on the private land by my house, the property has lots of good cover to hold small rodents that the fox and coyotes like to dine on, plus its on the edge of a big gravel pit that is loaded with yotes.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Oh no, still no fair Cap'n.....cuz you are experienced now! :D

I know its off-topic, but speaking of fox, I just got back from my daily check. Had one miss (fired trap, tracks all around) in a spring hole set, and another fox stopped 18" short of my set in another location. All good....I enjoy the game of cat and mouse.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome to the world of a beaver trapper.It is kind of like entering into the twilight zone.Beaver become an addiction ,like no other.
If no one else has been in there, you should have 3 more the same size as what you caught.Also the pair of adults.And if the one you caught was not the adults first litter,you should also have 4 that will be 2 years old,this spring.
I hope you get many more.
Tom Olson

·
Registered
14 Posts
thats a nice beav and it must be the season for trap theivery becuase i had one come up missin today and i found the guys who did it. but they claimed that they lost it in the woods and it was my fault that their dog got hung up on it becuase it wasnt flagged.(private property that they didntt have permission to be on mind you

·
Registered
14 Posts
i was misspoken when i put tagged it was supposed to be flagged as in a piece of colored tape above where my trap is i was so flustered taht i typed it wrong. all of my traps are tagged with copper tags with my name and address according to what it says in the michigan hunting and trapping guide sorry about the typo dave i went back and fixed it to prevent any other misunderstandings

·
Registered
828 Posts
Awesome!!! You are becoming a very successful trapper in your first year. As your success grows, the addiction gets worse. Well you are one up on me with Beaver, and I have been at this a few years. I just cant seem to find a lot of Beavers to trap. Maybe if I got out of the muskrat marsh more often I would find some. I chased one quite a bit last year with 330's, only to have him fire the trap and not get caught. This made him very square shy, and I never caught him. I did catch an Otter in the pursuit of the Beaver, so it was all worth while. Congratulations Capt Beaver.... I meen Northwood:lol:

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Orion,
Capt Beaver???? Hmmmm kinda like the ring to that......I'll keep Northwood though. I made a fleshing beam tonight and boy did it help out a ton when I fleshed the beaver, the only other thing I've fleshed out was a few ***** and I kinda mickey moused a beam together to do those and I gotta say having the proper tool for the job sure did make it a lot easier. Now that I look back at the ***** I complained about I can see where they wouldn't be as bad with the right equipment......amazing how that is!!! I've mickey moused stuff before and always end up saying the same thing when I use the right equip......maybe that should have been my name "Mickey Mouse"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.