Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was drawn for the first time for a tag in baraga county, i was thinking about buying a 270 for this but was wondering if my 30-30 would work just fine, and another question is on baiting, can we use the big blue plastic barrels or is that not aloud in michigan, any help is appreciated thanks!

·
Banned
409 Posts
I videao taped my buddy shoot a 375 pound bear with his 30-30 at about 65 yards, the bear went another 10 after being shot and dropped dead. Bear is as thin skinned and as easy to kill as a whitetail, the old 30-30 will be just fine. If you are hunting private land you can use the container or any kind you want, but not on public or comercial forrest lands no containers are legal you can only use logs to cover bait stations.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
35,751 Posts
Baiting Rules

From the start of the legal bear baiting period through the end of bear hunting season, bear hunters may use the following products without quantity restrictions:

meat and meat products including dog food;

fish and fish products including cat food;

and bakery/confectionery products including jams, jellies, sweeteners, candies and other cooked or commercially processed materials, including pie fillings and yogurts, used in bakery products.

From the start of the legal bear baiting period through the end of bear hunting season, bear hunters may use up to two gallons of grains per bait station provided the bait is made inaccessible to deer and elk. It is illegal to use grains in counties closed to deer and elk feeding and deer baiting.

All other materials, including fruits, vegetables, salt and minerals, may be used in limited quantities, starting October 1, except in those counties closed to deer and elk feeding and deer baiting. Bear hunters using grains, fruits, vegetables, salt and minerals beginning October 1, must comply with all other deer and elk feeding and deer baiting regulations for the area and time in which they are baiting bear.

Hunters should consult the Michigan Hunting and Trapping Guide, which is available each year in early August, for deer and elk feeding and deer baiting regulations, including closed counties.

For the purpose of these rules, a bait station is a site where food or lure is placed that attracts bear.

It is unlawful to establish a bait station that attracts bear prior to August 10 in Bergland, Baraga, Amasa, Drummond, Carney, Gwinn and Newberry management units or prior to August 21 in the Baldwin, Gladwin and Red Oak management units. It also is illegal to tend or establish a bait station for the purpose of attracting bear after September 28 in the Baldwin and Gladwin units, after October 12 in the Red Oak Unit and after October 26 in the Upper Peninsula.

It is unlawful to hunt over an illegal bait. An illegal bait is one that attracts bear prior to August 10 in Bergland, Baraga, Amasa, Carney, Gwinn, Newberry and Drummond management units, or prior to August 21 in the Baldwin, Gladwin and Red Oak management units. On public and commercial forest lands, illegal baits would also include one that is not placed on the ground, or contains plastic, any wood products, paper, glass, metal, or concrete, or has within 100 yards of the bait site any containers used to transport bait to the baiting site.

It is unlawful to use metal containers, plastic, wood, concrete, glass, fabric, cloth, or paper at a bait station on public or commercial forest lands. Dead and downed trees may be used. It also is illegal to use a tire at a bait station on public or commercial forest lands.

It is unlawful to place bait other than on the ground at bait stations on public or commercial forest lands.

Any containers used to transport bait to baiting stations on public lands and commercial forest lands must be removed and disposed or properly.

It is unlawful for any person or their authorized representatives to establish or tend more than three bait stations per hunter.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks you guys for all of your advice and i think i am gonna just stick with my 30-30, i think im gonna buy those new ballistic tip bullets they came out with for the the 30-30 and see how those shoot, i hear good stuff on them

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
wingmaster12 said:
thanks you guys for all of your advice and i think i am gonna just stick with my 30-30, i think im gonna buy those new ballistic tip bullets they came out with for the the 30-30 and see how those shoot, i hear good stuff on them
Better check into those ballistic tips a lil more. Been hearing alot of bad things on their performance on deer. I would be more inclined for a trophy bonded bullet or fail saf. Sorry I cannot remember the thread, it was recent though.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've heard the same. I've never tried, and probably never will. The hornady lever-revolution sell good, but the more i hear about them the more i tell people to stear away from them.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
TheBigEasy said:
I've heard the same. I've never tried, and probably never will. The hornady lever-revolution sell good, but the more i hear about them the more i tell people to stear away from them.
I think it was mentioned in my post regarding what weapon and rounds are you going to use this bear season. I was one of those guys that had an "issue" with the ballistic tips. One of the reasons that I wrote the post... I don't use the Hornaday, but I have used the Winchester Supremes, and have had great success with them til the last year. I guess I'm going to call it the "pin-hole theory". What I thought was a dead on 50 yard shot to a nice 8 was quickly after a couple of days of searching a lost cause. My gun is and was spot on, so I either pulled (I was sitting in my Summit climber with the shooting rail nicely balanced and steady) or it did not impact bone on the way in. Basically, if the ballistic tip doesn't compress into the shell to "fragment" it, it will go through your target without ever breaking. No blood trail. Maybe a pindrop here or there.

Like I said, I may have pulled. But I've never missed a deer point blank before, and I was pretty dang embarassed. He kicked as though I hit him, dug in and ran. I got out of my treestand with a big smile on my face. But I must have had the biggest look of confusion when I started looking for my sign to track, I was that confident that I'd find him within 50 yards. Nothing. Got some help that day and next. Nothing.

Don't mean to "knock" the rounds, but that's just my experience. Like I also said, I've had great success with them. I used them out of my .243 for several years. Heck, my brother in law 2 years ago was helping me skin and his comment on the exit wound (.243) was "what'd you shoot him with, a 7mm"? The same round I "missed" with last year. And I will say this, these rounds are extremely accurate.

·
Registered
533 Posts
TheBigEasy said:

Referring to the Hornady lever-evolution - what have you heard to stear away from them?
tb

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
At the distance you would shoot a bear in Mi, 30-30 is plenty.

As far as ballistic tips, well I'm sure you've heard the phrase "right tool for the job". Ballistic tips are not made for close shots, hence they would be a bad choice. Awesome bullets at long range on medium sized animals though.

·
Banned
409 Posts
Gilbey said:
I think it was mentioned in my post regarding what weapon and rounds are you going to use this bear season. I was one of those guys that had an "issue" with the ballistic tips. One of the reasons that I wrote the post... I don't use the Hornaday, but I have used the Winchester Supremes, and have had great success with them til the last year. I guess I'm going to call it the "pin-hole theory". What I thought was a dead on 50 yard shot to a nice 8 was quickly after a couple of days of searching a lost cause. My gun is and was spot on, so I either pulled (I was sitting in my Summit climber with the shooting rail nicely balanced and steady) or it did not impact bone on the way in. Basically, if the ballistic tip doesn't compress into the shell to "fragment" it, it will go through your target without ever breaking. No blood trail. Maybe a pindrop here or there.

Like I said, I may have pulled. But I've never missed a deer point blank before, and I was pretty dang embarassed. He kicked as though I hit him, dug in and ran. I got out of my treestand with a big smile on my face. But I must have had the biggest look of confusion when I started looking for my sign to track, I was that confident that I'd find him within 50 yards. Nothing. Got some help that day and next. Nothing.

Don't mean to "knock" the rounds, but that's just my experience. Like I also said, I've had great success with them. I used them out of my .243 for several years. Heck, my brother in law 2 years ago was helping me skin and his comment on the exit wound (.243) was "what'd you shoot him with, a 7mm"? The same round I "missed" with last year. And I will say this, these rounds are extremely accurate.

No offense man but there is a first time for everything. For one you are talking about the winchester supremes obviously not the even the same caliber just another balistic tip. I have heard alot of things about them bad and good (more bas but thats usually the way it goes) well i have been using the Ballistic tips Winchester Supremes in my .270 for the past 5 years i have killed 3 does a 300 pound black bear that went about 25 yards and last thanksgiving dropped a nice 187 pound 8 point right in its tracks. I have heard alot of people have problems on losing deer with them, I just wonder if hunters just now started to lose deer when the balistic tips came out. Because if you listen to some it seems like they would never lose a deer if iy was not for the bullet, no hunter mistakes i guess. There are as many people that use them with success that dont. I think sometimes its hard for hunters to actually admit they made a bad shot. Hunters have been wounding and losing deer flor year and years before the ballistic tip came out and they still do with other bullets. The bullet may not work for guys but all i know is I have not had any problems with them yet.

As far as the 30-30 hornady i cant comment about them i have never used them or know anyone that has. They are still on the market so I would definetly try them out, its a pretty cool change for 30-30 shooter who have not had much for bullet changes in the past. You can always research other places just remember there will be bad with the good most of the time the guys with the bad are posting than the guys with the good.

A bear is not hard to kill, no different than a whitetail. A GOOD well placed shot in the vitals will put it down ballistic tip or not.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
If it was me and I was using my 30-30, I would go with the regular cup/core bullet (Rem CoreLokt, Win Powerpoint, Federal (Speer) Powershok,etc. in the 170 gr version. Federal even loads the Nosler Partition in the 30-30, which is pricey, but worth it if your shot is less than perfect. I would pick any of those before the Hornady Leverevolution B-Tips. That bullet was designed to flatten/lengthen the shots with a 30-30. Since you will likely be shooting over bait and be set up within 50 yards, it gains you nothing, if anything you would be stepping "down" in bullet "toughness".

A lot of bears have been shot with 30-30s, do not feel undergunned. Look through the posts on here re: anatomy, shot placement, and toughness. They aren't cape buffulos, but they are a different critter than deer.... Lots of thick hair and fat.

Good Luck!!

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,385 Posts
Rustyaxecamp said:
... I would go with the regular cup/core bullet (Rem CoreLokt, Win Powerpoint, Federal (Speer) Powershok,etc. in the 170 gr version. Federal even loads the Nosler Partition in the 30-30, which is pricey, but worth it if your shot is less than perfect... A lot of bears have been shot with 30-30s, do not feel undergunned. Look through the posts on here re: anatomy, shot placement, and toughness. ...
I'm with Erik on the bullet design choice but prefer a lighter bullet - personally I've used 150 grain Rem CoreLokts as well as the Federal 150 grain softpoints in my 30-30 and have a lot of confidence in them to take down bear (and deer).

·
Registered
788 Posts
Shot placement is the key,doesnt matter if its a pellet gun on a squirell or a muzzleloader on a rabbit(unlikely and stupid but ya get the point) just make your shots wise and precise

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Big holes and lots of blood for blood trails are a huge help for bears. They have tons of fur and carry alot of fat on them. Ya do not need a pinhole in the side of a bear and trying to track him.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts