Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after reading some other awesome stories, figured I may as well start a thread to document mine. This isn't an extreme Alaskan or Canada backcountry hunt, but it is far from anything I've ever done before in my life. I'll try and not be too long winded and break apart some of the details leading up to today for easier consumption, I hope this may help anyone else looking to hunt out west and overwhelmed with where to start.

This journey started over a year ago when the bug to go west and chase elk just became too big to ignore anymore. I had been listening to podcast and watching tv shows/youtube videos and decided it was time to do it for myself, so I put down a firm deadline and said I'm going in 2018 come hell or high water. The first large obstacle I was facing was finding a hunting partner. I got a good amount of hunting buddies here at home, but really none of them enjoy it to the level that I do or have the ambitions and drive that I do to further explore and chase new animals. As luck would have it, I mentioned to a new acquaintance that I had met only a few times of my desire to go elk hunting. He said him and his dad had gone two years ago and were going again that same year (2017). He told me he couldn't make it in 2018 as he was getting married, and that his dad and myself should get to know each other. So after a few phone calls, somewhat lengthy as we both could talk about hunting until we are blue in the face, he invited me to come shoot in an indoor archery league over the winter so we could become better acquainted with each other. I truly lucked out here as just as my assessment of his son proved to be accurate in his character and integrity, his father lined up just as well and we all got along great, and on top of that he's got over a decade of elk hunting experience and has been successful numerous times. As a bonus, we met some other great guys during the league, one of which has become someone I talk to daily and is also joining us on the elk hunt, his first one too. So there will be three Michiganders leaving September 7th 2018 to embark on a DIY, public land, OTC elk hunt in Colorado.

While I forged a friendship with my new likely hunting partner, I needed to learn as much as I could not only about Elk and hunting them, but about living in the backcountry comfortably and safely. I'm going to list some of the resources I've used to help aid in my preparation for this upcoming hunt.

Podcast:

-The Hunt Backcountry Podcast by Exo Mountain Gear, fantastic podcast that covers everything from nutrition and fitness, mentality and overcoming obstacles, hunting tactics, and more. They also make outstanding packs for backcountry hunting, this is the company I went with and will speak to more later

-Hunt Talk Radio by Randy Newberg, Randy is a legend in the hunting world and his podcasts hold wells of knowledge when it comes to hunting Elk

-Kifaru Cast by Aaron Snyder, Aaron is a no bs type of guy with years of experience in the mountains. He was a highly successful compound archery hunter, and is now using the recurve. Aaron gives an honest assessment of gear and tips to be safe and successful while hunting in the mountains

-The Rich Outdoors Hunting Podcast by Cody Rich, another great podcast where Cody hosts many great guests and releases a Wapiti Wednesday podcast each week

-Gritty Bowman Podcast by Brain Call, this podcast use to be hosted by Brain and Aaron before Aaron started the Kifaru Cast podcast. Gritty Bowman is also a well of knowledge with many great guests over the years

-Elk Talk by Randy Newberg and Corey Jacobsen, this is a new podcast that was started by two power houses of the elk hunting industry. Corey and Randy have decades of experience hunting elk and provide some truly valuable information

-MeatEater Podcast by Steven Rinella, while this isn't a podcast focused on just elk or hunting out west, it's one of my favorites as Steve explores many different happenings going on around the country and world when it comes to the outdoors and the animals we love to chase

Forums/Websites:

-Elk101.com, this site and learning material was created by Corey Jacobsen and is literally an A-Z on elk hunting. Having not hunted Elk before, it was crucial to learn their daily habits and tactics to hunt in terrain I've never hunted before. The course is $99, but there are numerous coupon codes to save you $10, I believe RANDY is one

-OnX Maps, going to call this a site as I use it on my laptop and hook into my tv. This is an invaluable tool when E-Scouting, you can do so much with this tool it's not possible to list everything. It is a paid subscription, and I believe the same code of RANDY will save you 20% right now

-MI Sportsman, but of course our very site right here has been a wealth of knowledge as well. I've been able to pick up on tips and things to expect or avoid simply by reading experiences of others, and the generous members that are willing to share any information they have

Videos:

-E-Scouting With Randy Newberg and OnX, fantastic series on YouTube that lays out how to utilize OnX and E-Scout for Elk when you cannot put boots on the ground

-Born And Raised Outdoors Land Of The Free, while this is mostly for entertainment, watching this series not only drove my passion and inspiration through the roof, I was able to pick up on different techniques they used and the type of terrains they were hunting

I think that's enough for now, when I get more time I'll type up some gear items I'm taking with and how I decided on them. I'll also share some of our plan and where we are looking to hunt.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Well, after reading some other awesome stories, figured I may as well start a thread to document mine. This isn't an extreme Alaskan or Canada backcountry hunt, but it is far from anything I've ever done before in my life. I'll try and not be too long winded and break apart some of the details leading up to today for easier consumption, I hope this may help anyone else looking to hunt out west and overwhelmed with where to start.

This journey started over a year ago when the bug to go west and chase elk just became too big to ignore anymore. I had been listening to podcast and watching tv shows/youtube videos and decided it was time to do it for myself, so I put down a firm deadline and said I'm going in 2018 come hell or high water. The first large obstacle I was facing was finding a hunting partner. I got a good amount of hunting buddies here at home, but really none of them enjoy it to the level that I do or have the ambitions and drive that I do to further explore and chase new animals. As luck would have it, I mentioned to a new acquaintance that I had met only a few times of my desire to go elk hunting. He said him and his dad had gone two years ago and were going again that same year (2017). He told me he couldn't make it in 2018 as he was getting married, and that his dad and myself should get to know each other. So after a few phone calls, somewhat lengthy as we both could talk about hunting until we are blue in the face, he invited me to come shoot in an indoor archery league over the winter so we could become better acquainted with each other. I truly lucked out here as just as my assessment of his son proved to be accurate in his character and integrity, his father lined up just as well and we all got along great, and on top of that he's got over a decade of elk hunting experience and has been successful numerous times. As a bonus, we met some other great guys during the league, one of which has become someone I talk to daily and is also joining us on the elk hunt, his first one too. So there will be three Michiganders leaving September 7th 2018 to embark on a DIY, public land, OTC elk hunt in Colorado.

While I forged a friendship with my new likely hunting partner, I needed to learn as much as I could not only about Elk and hunting them, but about living in the backcountry comfortably and safely. I'm going to list some of the resources I've used to help aid in my preparation for this upcoming hunt.

Podcast:

-The Hunt Backcountry Podcast by Exo Mountain Gear, fantastic podcast that covers everything from nutrition and fitness, mentality and overcoming obstacles, hunting tactics, and more. They also make outstanding packs for backcountry hunting, this is the company I went with and will speak to more later

-Hunt Talk Radio by Randy Newberg, Randy is a legend in the hunting world and his podcasts hold wells of knowledge when it comes to hunting Elk

-Kifaru Cast by Aaron Snyder, Aaron is a no bs type of guy with years of experience in the mountains. He was a highly successful compound archery hunter, and is now using the recurve. Aaron gives an honest assessment of gear and tips to be safe and successful while hunting in the mountains

-The Rich Outdoors Hunting Podcast by Cody Rich, another great podcast where Cody hosts many great guests and releases a Wapiti Wednesday podcast each week

-Gritty Bowman Podcast by Brain Call, this podcast use to be hosted by Brain and Aaron before Aaron started the Kifaru Cast podcast. Gritty Bowman is also a well of knowledge with many great guests over the years

-Elk Talk by Randy Newberg and Corey Jacobsen, this is a new podcast that was started by two power houses of the elk hunting industry. Corey and Randy have decades of experience hunting elk and provide some truly valuable information

-MeatEater Podcast by Steven Rinella, while this isn't a podcast focused on just elk or hunting out west, it's one of my favorites as Steve explores many different happenings going on around the country and world when it comes to the outdoors and the animals we love to chase

Forums/Websites:

-Elk101.com, this site and learning material was created by Corey Jacobsen and is literally an A-Z on elk hunting. Having not hunted Elk before, it was crucial to learn their daily habits and tactics to hunt in terrain I've never hunted before. The course is $99, but there are numerous coupon codes to save you $10, I believe RANDY is one

-OnX Maps, going to call this a site as I use it on my laptop and hook into my tv. This is an invaluable tool when E-Scouting, you can do so much with this tool it's not possible to list everything. It is a paid subscription, and I believe the same code of RANDY will save you 20% right now

-MI Sportsman, but of course our very site right here has been a wealth of knowledge as well. I've been able to pick up on tips and things to expect or avoid simply by reading experiences of others, and the generous members that are willing to share any information they have

Videos:

-E-Scouting With Randy Newberg and OnX, fantastic series on YouTube that lays out how to utilize OnX and E-Scout for Elk when you cannot put boots on the ground

-Born And Raised Outdoors Land Of The Free, while this is mostly for entertainment, watching this series not only drove my passion and inspiration through the roof, I was able to pick up on different techniques they used and the type of terrains they were hunting

I think that's enough for now, when I get more time I'll type up some gear items I'm taking with and how I decided on them. I'll also share some of our plan and where we are looking to hunt.
Awesome! You are hiking in? I am backcountry hunting Idaho in September and will post my gear list.
Good luck!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! You are hiking in? I am backcountry hunting Idaho in September and will post my gear list.
Good luck!
Yes, we are hiking in as well. Will probably go in for 2/3 days at a time and move on if we aren't seeing elk or fresh sign. Is this your first time elk hunting?

Feel free to post your gear list here if you'd like, I'll have mine up later today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yes, we are hiking in as well. Will probably go in for 2/3 days at a time and move on if we aren't seeing elk or fresh sign. Is this your first time elk hunting?

Feel free to post your gear list here if you'd like, I'll have mine up later today or tomorrow.
Sounds good I will get it posted.

It my first time hunting them in September, we are going into the frank church.

This is my 4th trip to Idaho in 2years and 7th backpack hunting trip. I am hooked :)

·
Registered
968 Posts

This is my 4th trip to Idaho in 2years and 7th backpack hunting trip. I am hooked :)

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Nice, so you got some experience. Idaho is on my list, I hear good things and looks like a beautiful place. When are you leaving?

Good luck fellas. Man, I am going to miss not hunting Idaho this year.
Thank you sir! If not Idaho, I'm sure you got something else lined up??

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts
Nice, so you got some experience. Idaho is on my list, I hear good things and looks like a beautiful place. When are you leaving?

Thank you sir! If not Idaho, I'm sure you got something else lined up??
I was suppose to go to Alaska this year but my back gave out on me with just a week to go before my trip date. Decided it would be best not to chance trying to live in the bush for 2 weeks with a bad back. I'm rescheduling for next year.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was suppose to go to Alaska this year but my back gave out on me with just a week to go before my trip date. Decided it would be best not to chance trying to live in the bush for 2 weeks with a bad back. I'm rescheduling for next year.
That’s a bummer, sorry to hear that. Best to play it safe for sure. I’m continuing to run and hike with weight, but staying ever so cautious as to not hurt myself with only 2 weeks before departure remaining.

Hope you heal up fully and can get out there next year!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So as far as gear goes, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to packing in with everything on your back and staying the night. So, I've done a lot of research and spread out my purchases throughout the year when I would catch things on sale, I also tried not to go too cheap on anything. Below is what I have selected to go with for my first backcountry hunt. I've yet to weigh everything, we plan on hunting an area for 2-3 days and then coming back out if not productive, so will probably plan on packing 4-5 days worth of food.

-Exo Mountain Gear 3500 Pack
-Nemo Equipment Galaxi 2P Tent
-Kelty 20 Degree Sleeping Bag
-Klymit Static-V Sleeping Pad
-Klymit X-Large Pillow
-Sawyer Mini Water Filter
-32oz Sawyer dirty water bladder
-Mtn Ops Nalgene w/HumanGear Lid
-Lifestraw Filter for backup
-Jetboil Stove
-3L Platypus Hydration Bladder
-Garmin InReach Explorer+
-Vortex 10x42 Binoculars
-Vortex Rangefinder
-Energizer Headlamp & Streamlight Protac pocket light
-Benchmade Knife & Sharpener
-Black Ovis Game Bags
-Leatherman Skeletool
-Dark Timber Coffee Ascent Packs
-Mtn Ops Ignite Trail Packs
-First Lite Kiln Hoody
-First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy
-First Lite 230g Merino Base Layer Bottoms
-First Lite Beanie
-First Lite Talus Fingerless Gloves
-First Lite Vapor Rain Jacket
-Kuiu Ultra Rain Pant
-First Lite Mountain Athlete Compression Socks (1 pair packed)
-Phelps Game Calls Bugle Tube & Diaphragms
-Black Diamond Alpine Cork Trekking Poles
-50ft Paracord
-Misc Medicine & First Aid
-Mountain House Meals
-Long Eating Utensil (Cannot remember name and I'm 5 hours from home right now)
-Panasonic Lumix Camera
-Hoyt Carbon RX-1
-Scott Talon Release
-Easton FMJ's w/G5 Montec Carbons
-Glock 19

Above is essentially everything that will be packed or on my pack. Below are my clothes and boots that I'll wear daily.

-Either Hoyt or new BHA hat if it comes in before we leave
-First Lite Aerowool Long Sleeve Shirt
-First Lite Corrugate Pant
-First Lite Brambler Gaiter
-First Lite Mountain Athlete Compression Sock
-First Lite Aerowool Boxers (will have second pair at truck to switch out whenever we come out)
-Salomon Quest 4D GTX Boots
-SuperFeet Green Insoles
-Garmin Fenix 5 Watch

I think that covers gear. It seems like ALOT, and I have no idea how it'll all fit, but I'm sure it will. I don't plan on using stuff sacks except for the sleeping pad. Also, I'm going to have snacks to go along with the mountain houses, probably almonds, gummy bears, and some Clif bars. I may make some bagel with peanut butter, bacon, and honey sandwiches for lunch. I'll also have a bag at the truck that will include back up clothing, my UA gear for whitetails here at home, as well as civilian clothes and other toiletries. Any questions please let me know!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Good luck on your trip! Your list of podcasts are the same as mine. Aron Snyder i an absolute wealth of knowledge for backcountry hunting gear. I like the fact that he lets the quality of the product speak for itself and not the money from the manufacturer influence his opinion. Randy Newberg is another great guy. The research is half the fun. Nothing like being in the mountains though. Have fun.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good luck on your trip! Your list of podcasts are the same as mine. Aron Snyder i an absolute wealth of knowledge for backcountry hunting gear. I like the fact that he lets the quality of the product speak for itself and not the money from the manufacturer influence his opinion. Randy Newberg is another great guy. The research is half the fun. Nothing like being in the mountains though. Have fun.
Thank you! It's been a long time coming and I can't wait to get out there.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sewey-

Good luck to you and stay safe out there. What unit are you hitting ?

Add Roe Hunting Resources to your list for videos. Great stuff for a $24 fee.

Jay Scott sometimes has unit specific info on his vast library of podcasts.

I also like to rip youtube videos about elk hunting/butchering to my phone just in case.

Gear list looks strong. We are carrying a lot of the same stuff.

I did Colorado last year, this year I ponied up for a New Mexico Landowner tag so off to Unit 45 I go solo on the 11th. Counting down the minutes.

-Fisher

·
Registered
968 Posts
So as far as gear goes, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to packing in with everything on your back and staying the night. So, I've done a lot of research and spread out my purchases throughout the year when I would catch things on sale, I also tried not to go too cheap on anything. Below is what I have selected to go with for my first backcountry hunt. I've yet to weigh everything, we plan on hunting an area for 2-3 days and then coming back out if not productive, so will probably plan on packing 4-5 days worth of food.

-Klymit X-Large Pillow
-Jetboil Stove
-Vortex 10x42 Binoculars
-Vortex Rangefinder
-Black Ovis Game Bags
-Leatherman Skeletool
-First Lite Kiln Hoody
-First Lite Beanie
-Kuiu Ultra Rain Pant
-50ft Paracord
-Mountain House Meals
-Panasonic Lumix Camera
-Hoyt Carbon RX-1
-Scott Talon Release
-Glock 19

Above is essentially everything that will be packed or on my pack. Below are my clothes and boots that I'll wear daily.

-First Lite Aerowool Boxers (will have second pair at truck to switch out whenever we come out)
-SuperFeet Green Insoles
-Garmin Fenix 5 Watch

I think that covers gear. It seems like ALOT, and I have no idea how it'll all fit, but I'm sure it will. I don't plan on using stuff sacks except for the sleeping pad. Also, I'm going to have snacks to go along with the mountain houses, probably almonds, gummy bears, and some Clif bars. I may make some bagel with peanut butter, bacon, and honey sandwiches for lunch. I'll also have a bag at the truck that will include back up clothing, my UA gear for whitetails here at home, as well as civilian clothes and other toiletries. Any questions please let me know!
All good stuff! Have you done any weekend backpack trips to test your kit and get used to pitching and moving camp around? We have some great places in MI to backpack.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sewey-

Good luck to you and stay safe out there. What unit are you hitting ?

Add Roe Hunting Resources to your list for videos. Great stuff for a $24 fee.

Jay Scott sometimes has unit specific info on his vast library of podcasts.

I also like to rip youtube videos about elk hunting/butchering to my phone just in case.

Gear list looks strong. We are carrying a lot of the same stuff.

I did Colorado last year, this year I ponied up for a New Mexico Landowner tag so off to Unit 45 I go solo on the 11th. Counting down the minutes.

-Fisher
Thank you, still unsure about where we are starting lol. We have a final meeting coming up to discuss and finalize where we want to start at least. I have about a dozen waypoints dropped on OnX that are areas of interest, but I think I'm liking units 53 and 521 to start in.

I did forget about Chris Roe! Although I just discovered him about 2 weeks ago or so on the Kifaru Cast podcast, I've yet to visit his site. And I also listened to Jay Scott for the first time with Corey Jacobsen just the other day, all good stuff.

Good luck to you in NM, and be safe out there! Going solo is some years off for me still.

All good stuff! Have you done any weekend backpack trips to test your kit and get used to pitching and moving camp around? We have some great places in MI to backpack.
I have not unfortunately, and know that is an important thing to do. I planned on getting out for some weekend trips this summer, but life just happened and I couldn't get away. I've set up the tent at home and packed the bag, will start to practice more these final two weeks with packing, unpacking, repacking, and setting up the tent to get as proficient as I can.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Good for you! When I was much younger this was on my bucket list! It will probably never happen do to many life circumstances, good for you!
You have to make things happen when you can or the years slip away and you don't!

You found somebody that knows the ropes and probably won't be a total jerk in camp That's Money in the Bank time saved lessons already learned.

I wish you all the best of luck and I hope to see a lot of updates and pictures so that I can follow your story and tag along for the ride!

I talked one of my buddies who usually goes out to Colorado for an elk hunt every fall, but where they hunt either is or was recently on fire!

Podcast:

Forums/Websites:

Videos:

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts

-Klymit X-Large Pillow
-Jetboil Stove
-Vortex 10x42 Binoculars
-Vortex Rangefinder
-Black Ovis Game Bags
-Leatherman Skeletool
-First Lite Kiln Hoody
-First Lite Beanie
-Kuiu Ultra Rain Pant
-50ft Paracord
-Mountain House Meals
-Panasonic Lumix Camera
-Hoyt Carbon RX-1
-Scott Talon Release
-Glock 19

-SuperFeet Green Insoles
-Garmin Fenix 5 Watch

Take a small roll of duct tape. I wrap a small dowel rod up with duct tape, never know when things will break and good for hot spots on feet, Also bring some ibuprofen. You are also going to need more than water, so some sort of sport drink mix like western athlete. I also like the green belly food bars. 5 ounce meals packing over 600 calories, just unwrap and eat, no cooking required.

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts
Put all that stuff in your pack and find a steep hill, like a ski hill and hike up it several times. That should let you know if you need to purge or not.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good for you! When I was much younger this was on my bucket list! It will probably never happen do to many life circumstances, good for you!
You have to make things happen when you can or the years slip away and you don't!

You found somebody that knows the ropes and probably won't be a total jerk in camp That's Money in the Bank time saved lessons already learned.

I wish you all the best of luck and I hope to see a lot of updates and pictures so that I can follow your story and tag along for the ride!

I talked one of my buddies who usually goes out to Colorado for an elk hunt every fall, but where they hunt either is or was recently on fire!
Thank you, it was definitely one of those things that I decided I want to do it and at a certain point you just have to go. If I didn't luck out with finding my hunting partners like I did, I probably would've done a solo Mule Deer hunt. My dad preaches the same thing of doing what you can or want while you can. And this being my first trip at age 30, I'm disappointed I didn't start doing this 10 years ago.

Take a small roll of duct tape. I wrap a small dowel rod up with duct tape, never know when things will break and good for hot spots on feet, Also bring some ibuprofen. You are also going to need more than water, so some sort of sport drink mix like western athlete. I also like the green belly food bars. 5 ounce meals packing over 600 calories, just unwrap and eat, no cooking required.
Thank you for the advice and recommendation, I will check out those food bars for sure. Those Mtn Ops Ignite packs are a sport drink mix, suppose to help with energy and hydration. Duct tape and Leukotape are on the list, just generalized them under first aid lol.

Put all that stuff in your pack and find a steep hill, like a ski hill and hike up it several times. That should let you know if you need to purge or not.
Will do, I've got some steep hills down by the river across from my house, I've been rucking with sand for now, but haven't felt what my entire setup will feel like yet. That's on the list of things to do early next week.

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts
Another high calorie no cook meal that I take is western athlete meal supplement. its a shake mix. I add powdered peanut butter and ground flax seed to it, drink it down in the morning and im good for quite a few hours. Light weight, no cook, no mess.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts