Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent this last weekend in Conneaut Ohio meeting wachtelhund owners that I have only spoken to per email or phone for several years.....We are in the final stages of formalizing the North American VDW and will be an attachment of the German Wachtelhund club. Our goal, this last weekend, was to practice certain aspects of the required German tests, discuss in detail our goals and plans with the club, and put faces with names.... One of the struggles are club will face with testing is a test that is used with wild rabbits. In Germany, they have huge rabbits (7-9 pounds) and do not den up when ran.....The group spreads out across a field and walks in a straight line till they jump one...They mark the spot and bring a dog up to run it.....the Puppy test requires that the dog run the rabbit for at least 1500 meters for the best score.....in North America we don't have the luxury of such a rabbit...we are exploring all options...if you know something that we can replace it with...let me know!!! Anyways enjoy!!!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Dave,

Great photos as well as great looking dogs. Takes a lot of effort to start a new club. Good work...

Have a good hunting season,

Rooster

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Spent this last weekend in Conneaut Ohio meeting wachtelhund owners that I have only spoken to per email or phone for several years.....We are in the final stages of formalizing the North American VDW and will be an attachment of the German Wachtelhund club. Our goal, this last weekend, was to practice certain aspects of the required German tests, discuss in detail our goals and plans with the club, and put faces with names.... One of the struggles are club will face with testing is a test that is used with wild rabbits. In Germany, they have huge rabbits (7-9 pounds) and do not den up when ran.....The group spreads out across a field and walks in a straight line till they jump one...They mark the spot and bring a dog up to run it.....the Puppy test requires that the dog run the rabbit for at least 1500 meters for the best score.....in North America we don't have the luxury of such a rabbit...we are exploring all options...if you know something that we can replace it with...let me know!!! Anyways enjoy!!!"

The German VDD testing also requires running on wild rabbits. Not really an issue. They arrange at farms and hunt clubs and just like you said, everyone spreads out until a rabbit is pushed; you then mark the spot and bring up a pup to try and pick up the track. The groups drive from spot to spot until all dogs just 2-3 chances to prove they can track. It is great fun.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Nice photos and great looking dogs. Just curious, whats the official name for the color of dark colored dog (blue roan?) He/she is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the photos.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
good pictures Dave look like you and the dog had some much needed fun time. good luck and let me know how I can help.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Nice photos and great looking dogs. Just curious, whats the official name for the color of dark colored dog (blue roan?) He/she is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the photos.
It's called a Schimmel....here is an exerpt from our standard....link is also below!

Dave

The Deutscher Wachtelhund comes mainly in two colors, brown schimmel (brown ticked with white) and solid brown. Brown/white or schimmel Wachtelhunds will produce colorations ranging from red to dark brown with white ticking. Brown Wachtelhunds will produce colorations ranging from red (orange and blond) to dark brown. Both colorations may produce dogs with large solid white and brown patches called heltigers or brownscheck, when breeding parents having the same recessive color genes. Under VDW standards, the heltigers and brownscheck colorations belong to the schimmel type. The various colorations have no influence on a Wachtelhund hunting abilities. In Europe, they are bred solely on proven performance in hunt measurement tests.

http://www.deutscherwachtelhund.org/Wachtelhund Description and Standards.htm

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The German VDD testing also requires running on wild rabbits. Not really an issue. They arrange at farms and hunt clubs and just like you said, everyone spreads out until a rabbit is pushed; you then mark the spot and bring up a pup to try and pick up the track. The groups drive from spot to spot until all dogs just 2-3 chances to prove they can track. It is great fun.
Our dogs are flushers....they must show ability to track for 1500 meters.... which is about one mile... They are judged on their ability to stay on track as well as give tongue while on trail.... My attempts at running cottontails has really been non-productive....most run for the hole almost immediately. We are talking about doing tests out west with jack rabbits but this could be very expensive! We have just talked about raising our own but not sure if they would run the required distance and able to avoid the dog's jaws. Thanks for the input.....one of our guys did go to some Drathaar testing.....Will have to see if I can make it and maybe see how they do it...We are currently working with the JGV-USA to provide judges for our testing as well......

I just looked at our testing stipulations.....here is the link....
http://www.deutscherwachtelhund.org/VDW Hunt test Regulations.htm

To receive the best score...the dog needs to run 1500 meters....To at least get a score, the dogs have to run the rabbits at least 200 meters..... It is the JP test which is for the pups up to 18 months.....interesting read if you have the time.....I have a lot of respect for the way the Germans prove their dogs.....

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts