Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the firestick worth it? I have direct TV but it's expensive and was looking for something cheaper.

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
I switched to Dish and cut my bill by $40 a month for two years .I also have a prime membership and firestick if i want to watch a movie it's cheap considering .Nothing local though

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
It depends. If you subscribe to a multitude of streaming services, there will probably be little savings. Many subscribe to a few services which can add up. When myself and my wife were dating, prior to her moving in, she subscribed to Netflix ($13/mo), Hulu ($12/mo), Spotify ($10/mo), and HBO Go ($15/mo). She paid $50 per month on top of her internet plan which ran ~$75 at the time.

If you're at least moderately tech savvy, you can set up your own via Usenet, Sabnzbd, Sonarr, Radarr, and Plex Media Server to have your very own internet-based DVR. That's where the savings really come in. I pay $50 per month for internet and $40 per year for Usenet access, so less than $55 per month total. Local channels come via an antenna and distribution amplifier to a HD Homerun network TV tuner. Works pretty damn good, and the quality is superior to the online services. I get all the goodies like DTS Master Audio, Dolby Atmos, etc. Streaming services typically use the much older Dolby Digital standard.

·
Banned
10,812 Posts
In my opinion, cable and satellite TV are now obsolete. I bought two Rokus for $30 (one time) each, one for each TV. They are about the same as a Firestick. My internet is $45 per month. We have a paid subscription to Netflix for $9 per month. We have two $40 TV antennas on the roof to pick up over 40 stations. They point in different directions so I can pick up northern or southern stations. The antenna signal goes into a DVR so we can record a few shows we watch. We also watch the local news too. We watch a lot of Youtube stuff but we also have Hoopla through the library that we watch too and can download books for trips too.

Reactions: eggfly

·
Registered
182 Posts
I switched to Hulu 4-5 months ago from directv. I have been pretty happy. I ave hulu live, that just raised the price to $55 a month.
Hulu is great for sports there is 12ish espn channels, nbcsports, fs1 fox sport detroit. BTN,SEC ACC, cbs sports
There was only a couple channels that i actually watched on directv that i dont get on hulu. Hulu has some add-on channels, i believe that is $10 a month. You could also add the movie channels.

I did not factor in internet in my decision when looking around because i was going to pay for internet anyway. I dont have a high tiered internet plan and to date it has been sufficient for Hulu.

My only complaint for hulu is my local CBS is a little grainy for football only. Everything else comes in perfect. All the other locals are good.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yup. I was up to 90 for DirecTV and that was with 50 in credits. Had been a customer for 15 years had the VIP phone number.
When I started with Hulu it was 45. Raised it 10 in December

·
Super Moderator
35,286 Posts
Yup. I was up to 90 for DirecTV and that was with 50 in credits. Had been a customer for 15 years had the VIP phone number.
When I started with Hulu it was 45. Raised it 10 in December
I have to see if theyll renew my discount in a few days... I am currently getting $70 off

·
Registered
182 Posts
Take a look at the channel lineup, you might be surprised. I was. I recently had surgery and had to stay with my folks for a week and they have DirecTV and I couldn't wait to get back home just for Hulu.
I have heard good things about YouTube tv, but haven't researched that at all.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I dropped DTV over a year ago, got an antenna and use free streaming sites. There is pretty much nothing you can't find on the internet...

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
Was given a firestick for Christmas. So far it's pretty cool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts