Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to run fireline on two of my dipsey rods this year, going to use #30, do i need to use some mono backing on my reel or spool all fireline?

·
Super Moderator
37,742 Posts
Mono backing is needed or the line will slip on the spool. Just wind on enough12- 14# mono to cover the spool completely and tie on the Fireline with a uni-uni knot. Why12- 14#? Because its just about the same diameter as the 30# Fireline and the line will lay evenly on the spool.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Completely filling a reel in superline would be outrageously expensive as 30# power pro so many guys use is the diameter of 8# mono and you would need a ton to fill a spool. A lot of guys usually will use 200 yards of 20 pound mono or something similar and then run 150 yards of power pro. If a big king manages to take out 450 feet or more you get to find out if you tied a good knot :).

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
You can get 300 yard spools of fire line for about 25 bucks. But I would like has been suggested before. Spool at least some mono on the base.

My fireline dipsy rod right now is about 200 yards of 25lb mono and 125 yards of 20# fireline.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Even thought I didn't post this thread, I'd like to thank you guys for the help. I am about to set up 2 dipsey combos and knew I needed to splice mono onto some braided, but wasn't quite clear how much. Your input has solved my dilemma.

:D

·
Registered
793 Posts
If you have a smaller reel like a Diawa SGLC27, you can also put masking tape on the drum of the reel so that the fireline wont slip on you, and still get lots of line on the reel.

Good Luck....

Jeff- BMT

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I just spooled up a few reels with 300yards of fireline. I tied right to the spool with a tight knot and didn't have any slip. I guess you could use a backer, but honestly, if I ever get down to the last 30 feet I'm in trouble anyways.

·
Super Moderator
37,742 Posts
Yikes Beave. I made that mistake once. Pick a nice damp day, add a rampaging fish. Then add the line slipping around the spool, rendering the drag useless as the fish takes line. It all adds up to one severe thumb burn.:eek: Do yourself a favor and add a bit of mono on the spool.

·
Registered
793 Posts
We did the same thing on our GL47's for the dipsy's. The line continually free spooled with the drag set all the way:confused: - we finally figured it out. We will never spool fireline without a backer again;)

Jeff

·
Registered
716 Posts
Been there, done that. Here's a little secret, go to cabelas and check out the bargain cave. You will find a lot of nice reels with little to no wear that are spooled with a braid. I think people buy them, spool with braid, think that the drag's bad and take back the reel. I know that's what clued me in. Took a reel back, and the next one did the same thing! LOL. :D

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Yes...

As the others have said... the electrical and masking tape will work... as will a nice strip of "duck" :D tape!!

If you really want to be safe and prevent slippage with tape... and nice little strip of double faced carpet tape on your arbor won't let it slip!!! :D

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Wish you the best Beave, but I'm fairly certain that you're going to have trouble eventually. The first time I spooled up with Fireline I didn't use any backing. It worked fine the first two trips with that rod/reel combo. Then on the third trip, I too thought the drag on my brand new reel was toast. After watching closely what was happening I figured it out. I pulled the Fireline off and put on about 20 yds of mono backer and haven't had a problem since.

Lesson learned ! :)

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
yeah, i had a slippage nightmare happen on my up in MN..... needless to say that reel was out of order for that week..... When spooling it it doesn't seem like its going to slip, but it will, after winding in without much pressure, getting wet, etc.

I've done the mono then superbraid thing. I don't put enough to cover the entire spool, but I let it go back and forth on the spool a couple times to get a decent base. (I am doing this on baitcasters, not normal trolling reels, hence the reason for less of backing). I would recommend using the albright knot as the preferred knot between the mono and the superbraid.... solid as a rock and easy to tie.

I did the same thing... i was like damn, for being a moderately expensive reel, this drag didn't last long.... I didn't figure it out til we were drinkin beer on the houseboat later that day lookin at it that it was the line spinnin round and round.

steve

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Got that right Steve. That's how I figured it out. It really seemed like the drag was shot but after watching it, I realized that the entire spool of line was turning NOT the actual spool. Then it clicked and I realized what what happening.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Hmmm... I never had a problem on my superline dipsey's last year, but I was running accudepths and those have a softer plastic spool. Methinks I'll be safe and respool some night.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Heres an old charter trick that solves the issue. Tie your fireline to the spool and get it wrapped around 4 or 5 turns. Then take a 3-4 inch piece of electrical tape and with alot of pressure cover the wraps of line, pinning it down to the spool. Then proceed to finish spooling. This will NEVER slip. Works great on spinning reels too. Also used as an under coating when loading a dipsey rod with wire so the spool doesnt get crushed.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I thought you were supposed to use dacron as a backing for fireline because the mono will rot from being wet under the fireline.

Is this correct? I too am about to "line up" two dispy rods and could use the info.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have had a reel spooled up with fire line for close to 5 years now with a mono base. No problems with rot. I use a blood not to tie the 2 lines together, a little tricky to tie but never any problems with brakeage.

·
Premium Member
29,844 Posts
Not sure why you couldn't do it on a level wind reel, but if you want all fireline on your reel, I take my spools (come now like this) on my spinning reels and drill a small hole through on side of the center. Put the line through the hole first when trying on and it can't slip;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts