Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Last night this video showed up on my facebook news feed. I found it pretty interesting. But wondering if this is something that would help all muzzleloaders, or just the cheaper more crudely made brands?

I'm shooting a TC omega and currently shoot about 2.5" groups @ 100 yards. It's been satisfactory for my needs so far, but would really like to dial it in this next year experimenting with different loads, bullets, etc. Is the fire lapping process something that is worth my time?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
what are you shooting for powder and sabots. I have the same gun i shoot 100 grains of 777 pellets with a 250gr shockwave and i have 1 to 1 11/2 inch groups at a 100yds brother shoot same and also has great results

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Currently 300gr xtp, and 100grain pyrodex pellets. Shockwaves did group better for me but I had poor terminal performance with them. My current set up has been satisfactory as I love how the xtps perform upon hit and never shot a deer over 50 yards in my life. However, am now interested in something I can shoot 150-200 yards confidently. Do plan to try Barnes and black horn in the future.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I also shot an omega. I recently sighted in at 60yds & 133yds (4 shots). Attached is my group. Blackhorn & Barnes. Make the switch

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,383 Posts
. Is the fire lapping process something that is worth my time?

How To Bore Lap a Muzzleloader - YouTube
Myself I've never done it but, have heard of others doing it. Just how well it works on all barrels would be the question. Many shooters just use the JB non-embedding bore polish, which does similar. Some shooters just shoot the rifle a lot which helps.

If you do try it, please post your results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts