Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you guys suggest that i go about getting my hands on these when they are not readily found on the internet? i have access on a great little private lake in Clare county and im trying to track down a depth map...the landowner that gave me permission said that they have laid eyes on one before, so i know it exists...thanks in advance for your time!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not to be snarky, but it is kind of hard to help without a name of the private lake to go with.

If there is a lake association, they might have had a bathy map done up as part of a lake assessment. If there is no access, it is unlikely that the DNR will have anything published that will help, likewise for the lake map books available for purchase.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to be snarky, but it is kind of hard to help without a name of the private lake to go with.

If there is a lake association, they might have had a bathy map done up as part of a lake assessment. If there is no access, it is unlikely that the DNR will have anything published that will help, likewise for the lake map books available for purchase.
I know about the lake associations and what they provide but this lake is small and only has very few homes on it...an association does not exist there...as much as I'd like to do anything to get this info, I can't provide the name of the lake per request of the landowner because they don't want random people knocking on their door...I do appreciate the info, tho...I was just hoping that somebody might be able to offer up any experiences that they might have in finding these types of maps

·
Registered
130 Posts
How did you do that?
I'm guessing from his username he has GIS training. Pretty easy to do with the right programs. You can make your own using Google Maps or Google Earth. The tough part is getting the data.

Without specialized equipment (like a geo-referenced sonar tow), it will take much longer to build bathymetric maps. It can be done, you just need a hand held GPS and a depth sounder...and lots of points.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If you post or pm me the name, I can check to see if the Navionics software has it. You can download their app to Android for $2. GPS and map contours, works pretty good for the price.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
If there is no access, it is unlikely that the DNR will have anything published that will help, likewise for the lake map books available for purchase.
This statement brings a wonderful question. If you go on the DNR'S website and look up inland lakes, would it mean that any lake shown would have access? I have my eye on a few lake off of their site, but have not determined where to access. I HEARD one of the lakes I am interested in is private, but can't figure for the life of me there would be a lake map on a state site
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
311 Posts
How did you do that?
lowrance HDS5 gen2, lots of kayaking around, decoding the data, retranslation in ArcMap, google earth pro, and a bit of "extra time on my hands" :lol:

i basically can do any smaller inland lake in two to three days. one day of data collection and a couple days of data processing and map generation. crazy accurate. :cool:

·
Registered
130 Posts
This statement brings a wonderful question. If you go on the DNR'S website and look up inland lakes, would it mean that any lake shown would have access? I have my eye on a few lake off of their site, but have not determined where to access. I HEARD one of the lakes I am interested in is private, but can't figure for the life of me there would be a lake map on a state site
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Ohub Campfire mobile app
With the DNR? Who knows. Maybe they have a lake map from the 30s-40s when the state owned land adjacent to the lake but sold the parcel before it was ever developed with public access.

All too often lists like that are populated from out of date databases. I'm not saying the DNR is always wrong and you can't trust them, but sometimes things slip through the cracks over time.

Best way to look for access on those lakes would be to get a plat book and see if there is any state/federal property that abuts the lake. Sometimes landowners will sign conservation leases to allow access to anglers though they still own the property. :shrug:

Of course, it's just as likely that the property owners on the lake are spreading rumors that it is all private when it isn't.

·
Registered
311 Posts
With the DNR? Who knows. Maybe they have a lake map from the 30s-40s when the state owned land adjacent to the lake but sold the parcel before it was ever developed with public access.

All too often lists like that are populated from out of date databases. I'm not saying the DNR is always wrong and you can't trust them, but sometimes things slip through the cracks over time.

Best way to look for access on those lakes would be to get a plat book and see if there is any state/federal property that abuts the lake. Sometimes landowners will sign conservation leases to allow access to anglers though they still own the property. :shrug:
...and some counties have GIS databases online. if they have parcel overlays, you can easily see who owns what around the lake. not an end-all-be-all, but another line of evidence.

another decent resource are these DNR maps: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10371_14793_51784-200319--,00.html

·
Registered
130 Posts
The online GIS databases the state has represent some of their best work in my opinion. They are really fantastic, if you can get your hands on a GIS program to open them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The online GIS databases the state has represent some of their best work in my opinion. They are really fantastic, if you can get your hands on a GIS program to open them.
i'm no stranger to the CGI (center for geographic information) ;) literal gold mine. but i find the generation of new, local data (like my bathymetric data) to be incredibly rewarding and fun.

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
They do have some lakes that are private. I got a map several years ago of a private lake that has been private for well over a hundred years. I was trying to remember where I got it from but it has been to long. I think maybe it was from an ag source from the state. If I could find it it may give you a clue where to start. This lake sits in the center of a farm and all the farms there are over 100 years old

·
Registered
311 Posts
They do have some lakes that are private. I got a map several years ago of a private lake that has been private for well over a hundred years. I was trying to remember where I got it from but it has been to long. I think maybe it was from an ag source from the state. If I could find it it may give you a clue where to start. This lake sits in the center of a farm and all the farms there are over 100 years old
i think the DNR maps are mostly from statewide surveys that were done in the 1930's and 1940's. there may be private lakes sprinkled in, but the public lakes are a sure bet.

the DNR maps give you a good general idea... for example, is this a 90-foot deep lake or a 12-foot lake. and general structure of bottom... lots of shoals and pockets? or one big meteor crater?

what excites me is the prospect of mapping all the numerous private lakes in the state. anybody have a rich uncle or good at writing grants? i have the equipment, software, and knowledge! :)

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
i think the DNR maps are mostly from statewide surveys that were done in the 1930's and 1940's. there may be private lakes sprinkled in, but the public lakes are a sure bet.

the DNR maps give you a good general idea... for example, is this a 90-foot deep lake or a 12-foot lake. and general structure of bottom... lots of shoals and pockets? or one big meteor crater?

what excites me is the prospect of mapping all the numerous private lakes in the state. anybody have a rich uncle or good at writing grants? i have the equipment, software, and knowledge! :)
I think that would be a great job to have. What excites me is finding out what is at the bottom from the logging days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts