Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any places that will donate goods to me for baiting around Lapeer County. I tried Kroger and struck out. Also, when you guys use dog food, is it dry or canned? Thanks

·
Banned
189 Posts
dry dog food, I call the local pet places and farm places and I buy their broken bags of dog food and bird seed for like $5 a 50 lb. bag:)

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
good call brohnson.... never even thought about that....

justin you cant just try one place and then give up... i dont like asking for permission for anything... land, using things, anything... and i even worked up the nerve and went around asking EVERYWHERE.... i even had many places saying well we are already giving stuff to people for bear baiting and once i talked to them for a while and told them that i was trying to get one with my bow and this and that they finally gave in..... you just have to have those good people skills and talk to them.... buy them a popcicle and stuff....ok maybe not that far... you get it though... talk to LOCAL businesses... corporate ones dont like to play.... Local people work with ya... especially if you are willing to pay them for their trash....

GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Justin yes you have to try more places than 1. Being from Lapeer originally I know there are a few local cop hang outs around there as well as many stores. Dad is getting some from just outside of lapeer (sorry that location is our secret) but I'm getting some from grocery stores and misc others in my area......don't forget the Tim Horton locations!

Also there is another thread on here where you can buy some if you want. I am going to get a barrel from him for backup as we have an entire week of hunting and 3 hunters.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I am just getting started looking for places. I have been trying to brainstorm places to go. Tim Horton's has crossed my mind and plan on hitting them up in a day or two. Good Luck.

·
Banned
189 Posts
don't give up, I bet I get 10 no's to 1 yes:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was fortunate here in Nova Scotia..I was first to put out requests to Tim Hortons as well as our main local butcher. I get aprox. 250lbs of doughnuts per week as well as 100-150 lbs of meat scraps and old bones. Just be sure to keep trying, how bad do you want it..lol

Good luck and stay safe!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I hit the donut shops early in the morning. Some hold them for me while others I have to dumpster dive (those managers are afraid of liability with giving them away). It's worth it though because I can get 15-20 garbage bags of donuts in a week.

I also have a diner that holds it trap scrapes for me. That will be (4) 5 gallon pales of grease with all the scrape of food. It have a little hash browns, some eggs, burgers, pancakes, etc etc. You get the picture!

Best thing is that I think donuts and grease are two of the best bait materials you can use and I get most of what I need for free!

I've been keeping my bacon grease for 3-4 years too. I have about 5 huge jars of grease. Great for bumping around a bait site and attracting bears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts