Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after almost two weeks, and calling up almost 25 birds , mostly all jakes, i finally found one to shoot!
Friday night, 5:00 pm, saw the biggest Gobbler i have ever saw , crossing right across the grassy area where i park! Watched him and when he got into the thick stuff i quietly grabbed my gun out of the trunk , grabbed one box call and dove into a downed tree brush pile on the edge. i got him to gobble three times but he kept getting farther away!!:mad: i sat there for a hour or so and then moved to a riverbottom ridge that he was headed for. i set up there and after calling for a while i had one big tom show up at the end of a small lane i was watching, he was all fanned out but would not come any closer. About 7:30 i decided to call it , so i got out of the blind and walked around it and saw a big tom behind me all fanned out at the bottom of the hill. I started calling agressively , then saw he was with two hens, so i started to really cut on the box to get the hens up the hill to me , but that didnt work , then i didnt see them for a while so i decided to go after him. i walked thru the dry leaves , crunch, crunch, snap, had my gun ready and when i got to the edge i saw the top of his fan and thought , one more step! next step, SNAP!! His head came up and BOOM!!.... All over!! 23.2 lbs 9 in beard. 1 in spurs . Ill take it!! Great season!

Bob:):D

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Congrats! One thing is always certain with turkeys, they are unpredictable, some come hard some come easy. :)

·
Registered
858 Posts
Congrats! Great looking Tom...you won't soon forget this season, huh?

·
Registered
306 Posts
nice tom and a good lesson in persistence.

Congratulations!

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Nice going! Nice looking bird.

I have heard a lot of stories about guys getting birds unconventionally this year. Nice to have a pleasant surprise especially after you had pretty much decided to call it a day!

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comments guys, i will be grilling up 1/2 the breast this afternoon, marinated in italian dressing and wrapped in bacon! Awesome!!:corkysm55:corkysm55:corkysm55:corkysm55

-Bob:)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sprytle said:
Thanks for the comments guys, i will be grilling up 1/2 the breast this afternoon, marinated in italian dressing and wrapped in bacon! Awesome!!:corkysm55:corkysm55:corkysm55:corkysm55

-Bob:)
Great story!!! Congrats on your great looking bird. I might give that recipe a try it sounds delicious. how do you cut the breast up for wrapping it in bacon?

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I cut out the tenderloin and then cut the breast in 1/2. I then marinate the 3 pieces in in ITAL dressing and soy sauce, a little old bay seasoning and some ground pepper. I then pull the pieces out and wrap them with maple bacon, using toothpicks to hold. I use only a charcoal grill and throw a few pieces of soaked hickory wood in for smoke. A Awesome meal!!!!

Bob:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts