Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally after many years I got a boat. 16' alum and need some help on what type of anchor system will be best for the big m. Just dont want to go out and have my first trip ruined due to having a bad anchoring system. Thanks to everyone for any help they can give me.

·
Registered
706 Posts
now remember Treble, don't send any waves towards shore anglers, since you didn't like it when it happened to you....lol, no in all seriousness, welcome to the world of a boat owner, which at times can be frustrating, but more often than not, rewarding. As far as an anchor system, depends what you want to spend. If you want the best, River Larry is the guy to see, but he is the most expensive. Tracy out of Newaygo makes a good one for a little less. Mark Chmura up in Manistee told me he is still making them when I spoke to him in October. MinnKota makes a 40lb rated winch that seems to work for some people. Some of the local dealers in the Grand Rapids area tinker with them. Not sure anybody on your side of the state supplies winches or welds towers?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
The most reliable is a hand operated system. My favorite Anchor is one I developed. Take a section of re-rod, bend to a "V', tac weld on your chain every few inches or as decided by math, add 3 sections of chain on the nose of the V for tie on. I have one that is 30 pounds and it stops my boat (drift) in the heaviest of water you'll find in Michigan. It is drag, not weight that stops you in the River, this rig has not hung up on me in 15 years.

·
Registered
191 Posts
For a 16'r use like 20-30 lbs of chain. I use about 20lbs hanging in 15'' loops with two 5 lb cannon balls on top. Now theres a method to this mess. If you wanna hang tight drop the whole rig down with a slight angle on the ancor line. For a drift back just barly lift the balls up off bottom and the chain will drag for your drop back keeping the bow strait. Its worked well for me and I have a 19 foot starcraft. Theres only 2 really fast spots that I can't hold well in the whole river. And to be honest I've had this one on the boat for more then 10 years and never lost it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts