Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out today and picked up a pair of 4oz and 3oz bouncers and a load of crawler harnesses. I just have a 55lb bow mount trolling motor on my boat. Im planning on using them in the mid to lower river. Anyone have any tips? Do you just keep one rod in your hand or can you put a couple in holders? Any tips would be appreciated.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I went out today and picked up a pair of 4oz and 3oz bouncers and a load of crawler harnesses. I just have a 55lb bow mount trolling motor on my boat. Im planning on using them in the mid to lower river. Anyone have any tips? Do you just keep one rod in your hand or can you put a couple in holders? Any tips would be appreciated.

I've seen guys put them in holders, but I stick to one rod in my hand to adjust depth as needed. I suppose an area that had a very consistent bottom would be fine using rod holders would be fine. Once you find fish try to stay on them. Good luck!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen guys put them in holders, but I stick to one rod in my hand to adjust depth as needed. I suppose an area that had a very consistent bottom would be fine using rod holders would be fine. Once you find fish try to stay on them. Good luck!

Thank you. another question I thought of is what size line should I use on my main line? I have 10lb mono on most of my rods. Suggestions? Or am I ok with 10lb?

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Thank you. another question I thought of is what size line should I use on my main line? I have 10lb mono on most of my rods. Suggestions? Or am I ok with 10lb?
You can do mono, but braided or fireline would be more ideal. The no stretch makes it way easier to feel bites and snags. I used mono when I first started and still caught fish, but the fireline works better.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Since I don't run my bouncers right on bottom, I usually set all the poles in the rod holders. Many times the fish will hook themselves when they bite. I still get snagged once in a while when a large depth change sneaks up on me, but most times I can motor upstream and pull them out without losing gear.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have enough braid for one spool. Its old and 60/12lb, is this too much? I figured I may as well use it. Bought it years ago for fishing bass in heavy pads.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I run 60lb braid on my bottom bouncing rods. It's good if you get hung up you can break off at the crawler harness insted of losing the weight too.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
You need to be reel careful if you plan on running multiple rods, especially in the lower channel. I've caught'm on BB's in the river, but I've found that using more than one rod is a royal pain. Little advice, it may seem obvious to run against the current, but also try running "with" the current. Caught many this way.

I ended up liking running BB's and inlines so much that my little 16' BlueFin and I ended up migrating to the lake, and I never looked back. Good luck on the river though, you'll catch em. (although I have a slightly bigger boat now)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Go with the current just fast enought to where the blade turns over and adjust your trolling motor acoordingly. I start right next to the boat and make sure all is a go and drop it fairly fast as to not get it all tangled up on itself. I wear a glove on my reel hand so i can continually let line out as i need and not get power pro line cut in my hand
A majority of the time they will hook themselves..cool. Sometimes you'll feel them tapping so i let the rod go slowly back as to feed them and with a long sweeping motion the other way...set the hook.

If the lake is too rough, i'll stay in the river and catch walleye all summer long. Good luck!

P.s.-- if you plan on making this a day trip, you may want to bring an xtra battery so you dont run out of juice before hitting your limit;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
cant stress enough staying off the bottom. i still find myself trying to drag the bottom all the time thinking that i gotta be 100 on bottom. i am finding that not to be the case, just close seems to work with less hassle.

i also seem to be changing my approach. i was dead set on going against the current and having sucess. but throwing buckets over the side to slow the boat down and running the big motor 8 hrs in my ear i began to see the light. the light of going with the current with a trolling motor or if need be my kicker.

prolly wont switch back

·
Registered
973 Posts
the light of going with the current with a trolling motor or if need be my kicker.

prolly wont switch back
Exactly, If you think about it from a fish perspective , fish face up river a majority of the time hiding behind boulders/ waiting in sink holes saving energy waiting for food too come to them. Its no different than trolling with the current, you are emulating mother nature...hopefully trying to instill an innate behavior

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
If you go with the current you are also less likely to snag as well. you don't ha e to let out as much line as you would going against the current. less line out you feel bottom a heck of a lot bod luck out there! Fishing has been awesome in the lower.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Last Sunday I got a limit lower river near the metropark. Purple/pink,purple blades 3oz bb 50 feet back 2.5 sog trolling with the current. Hope this helps also I was by myself and fished one rod with braid and held it most of the time. Thanks Rich.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How'd you do?

I have not made it out yet since I bought them. I have to work all weekend so hopefully next week while I'm off. I will make sure to report.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts