Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just as I was gettig ready to give up on the turkey hunt this year a funny thing happened. I was packing my climber into the woods last night to do a little bow hunting. just as I crossed over the top of the hill and set my climber down I looked over about 25 yards away and I saw 15 turkeys just standing there on a downed oak tree. I looked at them, they looked at me, I dont know who was more surprised. They walked off slowly, could have shot one with my bow no problem. Only problem was they were all hens. I shoot toms or nothing these days, but at least I know there are still some turkeys in the area.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I shoot toms or nothing these days
The fall hunts are intended to shoot hens and poults although toms are legal targets too.

If you have every ate a fall poult, they are 10 times better eating than a gobbler. If you get another chance at them in the last couple days of the hunt, your won't be disappointed on Thanksgiving.

I always target the young ones in the fall for this reason. Another reason is that I'd rather save the big gobblers in my hunt area for calling them in during the spring. Since the gobblers don't respond to calls very well in the fall (the hens and poults will) I'd rather save the long beards for spring rather than bushwhacking one in the fall. Just throwing it out to consider. Good luck filling your tag in the next couple days! If you do get a big gobbler, share some pics! It's been quite on this forum this fall.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts