Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took forever for me to decide what to do for handle scales on this one but I finally settled on some highly figured walnut and black canvas bolsters with a little red liner to set it off. I also started a smaller version to complete the set but that one has not even been HTed yet. Now all I need to do is go catch a tuna.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Justin -
blade is 9"
handle 5"
And yes it is extremely sharp. I made a smaller one for a set to give to my sister for Christmas. Still need to build a nice walnut presentation box.

The blade is folded steel. Forge welded 1080 and 15n20 low count twisted "damascus" - or at least what is being called damascus in modern knife making. But yes - the pattern is through and through the blade and imposible to remove no matter how hard you use it.
Not that cutting raw tuna is really hard on a knife for which it was designed but I imagine there will be other items cut with this by my sis as she is a great cook but not a pro chef so tool specific is not necessarily her priority.

Bob Urban

Poor photo but here is the sister knife to the set(don't mind my feet)

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Beautiful!

You know you can use sushi (sashimi) technique on salmon, tuna is not a necessity.

If I had the cash I would commission you to make a santoku for me in the same low count damascus style. As someone who uses knives daily for a living, something along the lines of what you have done would make work so much more enjoyable. Creating elegant food would be so much more inspired with tools like yours.

Keep the posts and pics of your work coming!

-Chef Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts