Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we always set up shacks for spears, and tip ups, as sometimes, I like to get out of an empty shack, and go for a stroll. I got a petty good pike on flag first, then an okay one with spear, but my first of the year. Then I got thinking, I have tips ups in sort of a circle around me, so did I create a gauntlet of sorts and lessen my chances of a shot with spear? I think so . Most spear guys tell me they eventually lay off tip ups, now I can see why. after considering this, I took the trap from the east and west of me, and set them out from the one south of me so I could look out window in 1 direction, and see them all. They may be staying home, unless panfishing occurs.. The spear preformed great for me Jason, thanks

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
we always set up shacks for spears, and tip ups, as sometimes, I like to get out of an empty shack, and go for a stroll. I got a petty good pike on flag first, then an okay one with spear, but my first of the year. Then I got thinking, I have tips ups in sort of a circle around me, so did I create a gauntlet of sorts and lessen my chances of a shot with spear? I think so . Most spear guys tell me they eventually lay off tip ups, now I can see why. after considering this, I took the trap from the east and west of me, and set them out from the one south of me so I could look out window in 1 direction, and see them all. They may be staying home, unless panfishing occurs.. The spear preformed great for me Jason, thanks

I always compare this practice to putting your deer bait piles just out of shooting range. I certainly wouldn't have them anywhere near the shack. I used to take them but anymore I don't bother. Scouting new lakes is the only time I use them at all

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always compare this practice to putting your deer bait piles just out of shooting range. I certainly wouldn't have them anywhere near the shack. I used to take them but anymore I don't bother. Scouting new lakes is the only time I use them at all
we were not on a new lake, just a different section of it. The problem I had decided I created for myself, was that I was surrounded by them. thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts