Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Thanks for sharing Bobberdown, was fun to watch but dam you almost lost that phone wow. Congrats on the toad. Talk to me about that rod holder it looked like a sweet simple setup, almost looked like a gopro holder.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Nice video. Awesome fish.

Questions:

Who the hell throws back 11+ inch crappie? Lmao. Those are prizes.

You were catching them pretty shallow judging by the quick retrieve. How deep was bottom? I ask because I find suspended crappie to be harder to catch. I have more luck jigging then off the bottom and making them chase but I'm always looking for more techniques.

I noted, thanks to some OCD, that you pull line with your hand. Isn't the one advantage of a spinning reel that you can just flip the bail? Is that just a habit for you or is there some advantage to it that you've found? More natural decent or something?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was waiting until someone brought up the fish being released haha. So what really happened was this for this few hours of fishing I really wasnt planning on keeping fish unless I caught a good amount for me to make it worth it. Sounds stupid to most people probably but just wanted to check my spot and fun fish it as I had to go pick up something from someone who lives close to the lake in the video. Kept the big one only to mount.

For the pulling line instead of opening the bail reasoning is it is a good way to check the whole system sure drag feels good while getting down im the water. I notice way less line twist doing this also which is good for me when using small teardrops which can drive you mad if there is line twist and they just spin non-stop. I like the discussion!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yes also this lake they tend to suspend high in the column. I had a camera going on my panoptix but my shanty light made a glare on the screen in the video that made it just unusable. Upset about it because it is interesting watching them react on the screen. This is 20 feet of water and a lot of times they suspend 5 feet under the ice. The bigger ones seem to be closer to bottom.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Line twist does suck which is why many of my rods have braid and then a swivel to 2-4lb fluorocarbon. The swivel helps reduce the twist but I like the braid because you can see it against the lighter background of snow and ice so when I'm using slip floats I'll leave a couple extra feet of line out there so that a fish can take it well before the line starts pulling on the rod tip in those cases where you are looking away, fighting another fish, or doing something else and not paying attention. Then I can quickly see how much slack I have to reel up just before I set the hook. In some cases the fish will hit so hard or take it aggressively enough and swim away that by the time I get to the rod they have hooked themselves already because the braid doesn't stretch much obviously but I still have enough shock absorption from the lighter leader and soft rod tips so my catch rate still remains very high.

Very nice fish BTW! Is it not amazing how much larger a 14"+ crappie seems versus even a nice run of the mill 12"? Wait til you get one around 16" and see how it dwarfs those nice 11-13" ones. It will look nice on the wall and I have two myself getting mounted as we speak. Be sure to share a pic when you get it back.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a good point to add. Ive used braid on light line before but only line to line so never tried the micro barrel to see how it fares against line twist. It is crazy awesome how a big crappie just looks, it is almost a complete different class of fish. Same with smallies too, a huge smallie just looks different than a normal to smaller size smallie does. I think that is because of the height of the fish. Makes it look massive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
True! Seems like Im seeing many people catch big ones this year more than the past. I lost one early ice which felt like a beast. Never saw but never had weight like that.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
That is a good point to add. Ive used braid on light line before but only line to line so never tried the micro barrel to see how it fares against line twist. It is crazy awesome how a big crappie just looks, it is almost a complete different class of fish. Same with smallies too, a huge smallie just looks different than a normal to smaller size smallie does. I think that is because of the height of the fish. Makes it look massive.
Here's my biggun from a week or so ago if you missed that post. It's twin was already at the taxidermist. Just shy of 16". And you are right about the height top to bottom, that big hump back makes all the difference. I got one just over 13" today and didn't even think it was a big fish, lol. When I cleaned the couple just under 10" I was sort of disappointed that I had kept them but always have to remind myself they are still pretty good fish in a lot of lakes.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts

I've been trying to get a big crappie for a while now and last week I finally got it done. And then it happened again on the same lake 3 days later! The first was a nearly 16 inch black crappie (bottom pic) and the second was a 16 inch white crappie. I also made the happy discovery that a crappie that size doesn't really fit through a 6 inch hole. This was not in Michigan btw, it was on a reservoir in Pennsylvania.

·
Premium Member
12,384 Posts
View attachment 753309 View attachment 753310

I've been trying to get a big crappie for a while now and last week I finally got it done. And then it happened again on the same lake 3 days later! The first was a nearly 16 inch black crappie (bottom pic) and the second was a 16 inch white crappie. I also made the happy discovery that a crappie that size doesn't really fit through a 6 inch hole. This was not in Michigan btw, it was on a reservoir in Pennsylvania.
So a 16 inch crappie does fit through a 5 inch hole. Beautiful fish, but you may want to get a bigger auger if you're gonna be catching slabs like those.😁

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
View attachment 753309 View attachment 753310

Michigan or not, great fish from the north. Go south or to Texas and they are plentiful but up here they are true giants. Your pics show the same thing I see, white crappie don't seem to have the length top to bottom like a black crappie does and they don't seem to pack on the weight. And you are exactly right about the 6" holes, I've been fishing a 10" hole and glad I have been especially when they come unbuttoned or the jig falls out as soon as you get a hand on them! Well done, nice pair.

Reactions: river-man2112

·
Registered
250 Posts
Michigan or not, great fish from the north. Go south or to Texas and they are plentiful but up here they are true giants. Your pics show the same thing I see, white crappie don't seem to have the length top to bottom like a black crappie does and they don't seem to pack on the weight. And you are exactly right about the 6" holes, I've been fishing a 10" hole and glad I have been especially when they come unbuttoned or the jig falls out as soon as you get a hand on them! Well done, nice pair.
Yep the white crappie was definitely not as tall as the black crappie, which I measured at 6 1/4 inches tall (part of the reason why I kept it, I really had to yank it through that hole. I released the white crappie). The size of the head compared to the body on the white crappie is ridiculous as is the hook jaw on its lower lip.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Reactions: RyanHuntsEverything
1 - 19 of 19 Posts