Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 1 month until bow season things shift to the final preparation stage. Today I made the selection for the starting lineup of arrows. I number each one and track their flight during the summer. This is very helpful as it helps cull arrows that don't hit where they're aimed. The starting line up for 2008 are arrows #2, 7, 3 and 6. The others won't make the quiver. Starting today I'll shoot from longer distances. Usually I shoot at 20 and 25 yards but now it'll be 30 and 35 yards. This forces me to concentrate, making the shorter shots seem like slam dunks. The 3-D target comes out this weekend too. It'll be set up in the back yard and I'll shoot from the 'fort' in the kid's play structure. This is the only time I shoot target tips, for all other shots I use Muzzy's practice blades, which would tear up the 3D.The final trip to Cabela's is tomorrow. I don't really need anything but what the heck. Stands will be hung on Monday (state land). Clothes will be washed/de-scented before the youth hunt and again before opening day. The final countdown has begun and it's getting exciting!!!!

Hey, did you notice there was no mention of CWD in this post? Let's keep it that way as you mention the things you do in final preparation for the opener.

John-Ypsi

·
Banned
12 Posts
With 1 month until bow season things shift to the final preparation stage. Today I made the selection for the starting lineup of arrows. I number each one and track their flight during the summer. This is very helpful as it helps cull arrows that don't hit where they're aimed. The starting line up for 2008 are arrows #2, 7, 3 and 6. The others won't make the quiver. Starting today I'll shoot from longer distances. Usually I shoot at 20 and 25 yards but now it'll be 30 and 35 yards. This forces me to concentrate, making the shorter shots seem like slam dunks. The 3-D target comes out this weekend too. It'll be set up in the back yard and I'll shoot from the 'fort' in the kid's play structure. This is the only time I shoot target tips, for all other shots I use Muzzy's practice blades, which would tear up the 3D.The final trip to Cabela's is tomorrow. I don't really need anything but what the heck. Stands will be hung on Monday (state land). Clothes will be washed/de-scented before the youth hunt and again before opening day. The final countdown has begun and it's getting exciting!!!!

Hey, did you notice there was no mention of CWD in this post? Let's keep it that way as you mention the things you do in final preparation for the opener.

John-Ypsi
you mentined cwd in your last sentince

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
I'm counting down the days as well. I just started shooting with some practice broadheads and the arrows are numbered and flying straight. My stands are up and I'll be heading out of state in 2 weeks to hang some more stands and actually bow hunt on the 15th. Hoping to get a nice fat doe to butcher up and get some sticks made to take back to the landowners in late October/early November.

Good luck to everyone, hunt hard and hunt safe!

·
Registered
197 Posts
All of my stands are hung. My camera is out and patterning bucks for me. Unfortunately I will need to resight my bow when I swith to broadheads. I have shot everyday for the last month, I should hit my best on Oct. 1.

How long before opener should I leave for the property to settle down, (private land)? I have and still will use scent killer and rubber boots.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you mentined cwd in your last sentince
Gamefarm - you caught me red-handed! Maybe we need a secret code for 'you know what!!!'

Got two stands hung on state land and I was even more prepared than a few days ago. And then my bow string broke. Fortunately the bow and I were both uninjured. My #1 arrow was on the string at the time and the vane ripped when it missed the target. Fortunately Hog Wild Archery was open today. Howard had a string in stock for my old Browning Spectrum (around 2o years old) and got me back in action. I highly recommend Hog Wild, you can find them on GoodSeearch or Google.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I am still trying to figure out the easiest way to carry everything since for the first time I will be using a climber. So I will have my bow and usually I have a back pack but will have to rethink that part. Most definitely ready to go!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts