Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting down last night re-oiling/waxing my tin chaps for an hour... I thought to myself that there has to be a better way, or possibly another product that people use.

So, just wondering how people bring their chaps or pants back to life.

I simply sit there with an old cloth and the "oil-finish-wax" and dab and wipe.

-Scott

·
Registered
200 Posts
I use Filson's wax. I do small areas at a time. I heat the wax in warm water until it's piable, rub it on and then I use a hair dryer to work in the wax.

I'm sure there are other products that can be used but I'm satisfied with the Filson wax.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I also have the filson tin chaps. But I lost intrest in reoiling them. and went and got a pair of frog legs made by WICKS they are water proof up past your knees and theres a Rubber boot at the end very nice I cant see how I ever did with out them. They keep you very warm and you can have them custom made.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I have just the regular Wicks chaps and love them. Get them dirty throw them in the washing machine and there good to go. Besides Filson doesn't make chaps for people of my size or income.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
I bought a set of chaps last week at Gander. $21.00 on clearance.
Not sure what the brand is. But for $21, I'll e happy if it saves me a half hour from picking burrs off my pants.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I get dirty and wet and nasty and when I get home the last thing I feal like doing is taking care of my hunting clothes.

I have all the wick stuff. It's the only thing I would ever where for rabbit hunting.

I like the frog legs for spring, summer, and early fall.

Then I switch to the bibs when I start hunting in the winter.

http://www.wickoutdoor.com/

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I had a pair of Filson. They were a pain to get on and off (no zipper), a pain to take care of, expensive, and only lasted half a season before they were tattered.

I got a pair of Wicks chaps with a zipper, extra heavy duty for about the same price and they are holding up real good.

Definitly Wicks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just wax them up and set them by the register over night . no complaints about them. I too warm up the wax before applying(again the register).

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have an old pair of browning and one pair of LCS chaps, both are nylon.
I spray a little Scotchguard on them before I go out and toss them in the laundry when I get back.
They really repell the water.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When it starts warming up, what do you guys wear on top? Right now I wear my Carhartt and going through the briars ain't nothing but even with just a fleece vest and a t-shirt underneath I'm starting to get too warm and it's only 35 degrees.

Do you guys just rough it and beat your forearms all to hell or are there long sleeved shirt out there that can actually stop those briars and rose thorns? Thanks by the way for giving the Wicks link just may be buying me a new pair of chaps.

Mike

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Even at 40 degrees the wick jackets are just too warm for me.
There great for winter time.

So I bought a Field jacket from cabelas that has a removable liner and removable sleves.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got a nice vest with the mesh back that breathes, and a Winchester jacket with a zipout liner. The liner itself has detachable sleeves as well. Although it seems to warm right now, once I'm not walking through 12 inches of snow, I wont work up nearly the sweat.

Michael... ever get those PM's?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Scott,
I too warm the wax, rub it on, and blowdry it to soak it in. It seems to work the best but it still is a pain in the butt.

I wear filson stuff for work too (water well drilling) and it seems to hold up the best to the daily mud and grime that we put it through. I know they are pricey but staying dry in the middle of winter is priceless.

Maybe we should all pool our money and buy a big vat of it so we can just dip our garments in it??? Just an idea...... ;)

Shane

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
I just checked the ones I got at Gander. They were Filson Chaps $29.99 on clearance.

I have never owned a pair before. DO you have to treat them the first time you wear them or do you start to wax them after several uses?

·
Registered
107 Posts
GWPguy,
I don't think Filson makes any "dry" chaps so you should already have wax on them.

I just re-wax mine when my legs gets damp after hunting. Depending on cover, you may have to re-wax after a few months or up to a year or more. I only wear my chaps when the temps are warm - I prefer my pants and I have to re-wax them every 2 months or so. They are a little worn but I sure have put them through some abuse.......

Shane

·
Registered
129 Posts
RWM...I also get too hot.
I wear an orange canvas or poplin long sleeve shirt and a game bag/belt.
If it's really warm (september) I go with shorts under the chaps.
Arms are usually the first line of defense for tag alders and thorn apples.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I love my filson chaps. They do need maintenance from time to time but they are alot more comfortable then any nylon chaps. Those things are just to hot in the early season and they arn't very waterproof after you wear the inside protective coatings off. Just my two cents worth.

Bear Creek,

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I don't mind them pickers! Its the darn Mosquitos!
During the warmer weather months I use a denim shirt.
I soak it with Deep woods off every time I go out.

I use it as an over shirt and I don't wash it.
I just keep it in the garage untill fall and it is soaked with enough deet the Mosquitos dont want to go anywear near me. LOL

After the season I just throw it away. I'm not allowed to bring it in the house
:p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts