Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thats the only way I do it, When done right you can read the newspaper through the back bone. IMO best way to eat them bluegill. batter them up in the oil done.:fish:

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I think a trip to Rice lake converted me,trying to clean hundreds can drive ya batty,fileting is quick an easy,don't have to be slabs either,even the smaller ones make nice "chips":):fish:

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
:yeahthat:
"D"...All of the above.:lol: Best way to eat those tasty morsels!! Good sharp fillet knife and you are set.:corkysm55:corkysm55

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
How else do you clean a bluegill? Scale and gut method? I've always filleted and never thought twice..........I have on occassion scaled them when I'm really bored and feel like making a mess, but I always filleted the fish after that, minus removing the skin.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I fillet everything I clean. I know an old timer that scales them, cuts off the head and tail, guts them and pulls the fin out with a pair of pliers. He says they taste better with the bones in.

·
Premium Member
3,141 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,141 Posts
I agree with the guy that says they taste better with the bones in, I prefer them that way.

Since I have noticed the grubs in some of the fish I tend to fillet them all now.

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
I agree. I do not keep Gills under 71/2 to 8 inches and you can see before and after cleaning in my albums. If done proper, a 8 inch gill will give a piece of meat 4 inches long by 1 inch wide!!:corkysm55
Don:fish:
I always get a kick out of seeing what other people keep. I see 6- 6.5" fish laying on the ice and I wonder how and what a fillet off a fish that small looks like. 7.5" is my minimum too, and I prefer 8. I kept a 7" gill last weekend because it was hooked deep and had to rip the hook out. When I filleted it, I wasn't sure if there was a fillet there or not! :)

·
Registered
3,096 Posts

I just filleted a mess the other day.

People will ask me "Fred how did you get so good at filleting fish"? I answer "thousands of fish"! I have not gone electric yet but have been told it is the cats as!

Fred

1 - 20 of 65 Posts