Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
the knife of my choice is a thin flexible manual knife i thnk it is the overall best way to go. make shure you have a good sharpener becavse a sharp knife makes all the difference

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I have 8 different fillet knives. All manual and all different.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Small and large size Rapala, sharpen and clean easily; have used them for years; very durable

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Electric Black and Decker that they sell for 10 bucks....takes a licking and keeps on ticking ya can't beat it for the price......Mack

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
Manual.. Pretty expensive but guarenteed FOREVER. The Cutco Filet knives are really nice, hold an edge well, and the rep will come out to my house and sharpen it for free.

Jeff

·
Registered
901 Posts
Manual.. Pretty expensive but guarenteed FOREVER. The Cutco Filet knives are really nice, hold an edge well, and the rep will come out to my house and sharpen it for free.

Jeff
I have the Cutco extendable knife, and IMO it is the BEST knife I've ever used. I've had it for 3 years and have cleaned a ton of fish with it. Haven't sharpened it yet, and I think it's still sharper than my new Rapala knife!
Got it as a gift, and I know these aren't cheap.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Been filleting panfish for years with small manual fillet knives, my favorites are the 4" Rapala (w/black handle) and a 4" Gerber fillet knife. I have an Mr. Twister electric that I use on larger fish and I can do a decent job with it on pannies but feel I do a better job with the manual knives and almost as fast.

Buy a "Steel" to use with your fillet knives a few strokes every so often and it keeps the edge from rolling and not cutting as well it should.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Another vote for the Cutco fillet knive, I've been using them for over 20 years, the best knive I've seen for holding an edge.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
For cleaning half frozen fish (icefishing) or three fish or more, I always use my rapala electric, with the cord. I can plug in to either a wall outlet, my car cigarette lighter, or one of those portable car jumpers.

I've heard some complaints on the cordless electric ones. Not enough power, especially when cold, and not enough juice for a big pile of fish.

I still prefer a smaller manual knife for panfish and perch and a Forshner for salmonoids.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts