Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Below is the email I sent along with the survey. Gave them something to laugh about while depositing my license fees from this season.

This was by far the worst I have ever seen our deer herd. Sightings were the worst I have had in my 15 year bow hunting career. I refrained from even taking a deer because the numbers were so low. Passed many small 1.5 to 2.5 year old bucks just to have people on neighboring lands kill them. We need a REAL MANAGEMENT plan to save our deer herd. I had a couple mature bucks patterned before the youth hunt, once the youth hunt took place the mature deer went nocturnal due to September gun fire. Only saw them on my tree cameras from there on out. If changes aren't made I will be taking my licence fee money normally spent here and going back to Ohio until the MI DNR figures out how to properly manage our states deer correctly. Many websites and magazines have labeled us as the laughing stock of the country when it comes to deer hunting due to your management plan that pretty much allows for a zero discretion slaughter fest.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Below is the email I sent along with the survey. Gave them something to laugh about while depositing my license fees from this season.

This was by far the worst I have ever seen our deer herd. Sightings were the worst I have had in my 15 year bow hunting career. I refrained from even taking a deer because the numbers were so low. Passed many small 1.5 to 2.5 year old bucks just to have people on neighboring lands kill them. We need a REAL MANAGEMENT plan to save our deer herd. I had a couple mature bucks patterned before the youth hunt, once the youth hunt took place the mature deer went nocturnal due to September gun fire. Only saw them on my tree cameras from there on out. If changes aren't made I will be taking my licence fee money normally spent here and going back to Ohio until the MI DNR figures out how to properly manage our states deer correctly. Many websites and magazines have labeled us as the laughing stock of the country when it comes to deer hunting due to your management plan that pretty much allows for a zero discretion slaughter fest.
That's awesome! I am going to copy and paste and go fill mine out! Can I fill one out if I didn't buy a Michigan hunting license this year? I haven't bought one in several years for these very reasons. I don't mind the youth hunt but the rest is pretty accurate!

·
Registered
4,292 Posts

:lol::lol::lol: mature deer went nocturnal due to youth hunt? Get a clue:dizzy:
With this logic we better ban all small game hunting in September. All those gun shots will make them nocturnal.:lol:

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I told them to enact an early spike only season so we don't have to wait to see if they shed their antlers in late December to shoot a second one. :lol: not really. Did fill it out though. Not pessimisticly

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
:lol::lol::lol: mature deer went nocturnal due to youth hunt? Get a clue:dizzy:
With this logic we better ban all small game hunting in September. All those gun shots will make them nocturnal.:lol:
Nobody small game hunts around my properties... I have a clue, do you?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts

Not to knock your submission, im sure it was heart felt, but its very contradictody. You mention worst year for sightings, then state you passed up many 1.5 & 2.5yr old bucks. Then you state you have several mature bucks on camera. Reading this from my perspective, im jealous and wish my area was as good as yours. I hope the intended recipient gets the message you tried to convey, but all I got was you dislike the youth season.

Ill be filling mine out tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I submitted mine. Was more disapointed with this season than last year

·
Registered
4,292 Posts

"Once youth hunt took place the mature deer went nocturnal due to September gun fire. " Nope I don't see where you said the states deer went nocturnal. And a few gunshots during the youth hunt weekend are not going to make the deer go nocturnal for the rest of the season.:dizzy:

·
Registered
11,449 Posts
All filled-out documenting another fantastic deer season. Is it 11/15/15 yet???????...................

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Just submitted mine. Ready for next season. Was a tougher year than normal for me. The acorns were raining down around us so it a bit harder to pin point the deer. The good news is they have a good head start this winter. After last year they need it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts