Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction I am looking for upcoming events with regards to field trials and or hunt trials for labs/retrievers it is something I always wanted to attend, just never made the time, everyone seems to have some sort of campion sire and Dam and i would love to attend an event and see what it is all about. The problem is i have no idea where to start my search, so I thought i would try here. Somewhere within an hour drive or so from Detroit would be preferred, but any info is welcome.

Thanks again
Sean

·
Registered
639 Posts
Get involved with the Ruffed Grouse Society. We have fun trial events all over the state, throughout the year. If you are a little more serious about your competition, check out the MIHRC for retriever work, or NSTRA for field trial work. You may also want to contact GLSDA to see one o their events. All of these are great places to get connected, and learn from those more experienced.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
AKC does field trials and hunt tests. And UKC does hunt tests under the HRC(hunting retriever club). There's a AKC hunt test July 20, 21,&22 at omega farms in Williamston MI. Roughly an hour from Detroit depending where in Detroit

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Get involved with the Ruffed Grouse Society. We have fun trial events all over the state, throughout the year. If you are a little more serious about your competition, check out the MIHRC for retriever work, or NSTRA for field trial work. You may also want to contact GLSDA to see one o their events. All of these are great places to get connected, and learn from those more experienced.

I'm going to help Dave out here a bit.

RGS Trials are non sanctioned upland dog trials that have a field for pointers and flushers.

Mi HRC will be UKC hunt tests for Retrievers

NSTRA - shoot to retrieve trials that are for pointing dogs

GLSDA - Hunt tests for both pointers, flushers, and retrievers.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I'm going to help Dave out here a bit.

RGS Trials are non sanctioned upland dog trials that have a field for pointers and flushers.

Mi HRC will be UKC hunt tests for Retrievers

NSTRA - shoot to retrieve trials that are for pointing dogs

GLSDA - Hunt tests for both pointers, flushers, and retrievers.
APLA American Pointing Lab Association http://www.americanpointinglab.com/site/

NAVHDA North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association http://www.navhda.org/

VHDF Versatile Hunting Dog Federation http://www.vhdf.org/

Griff

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey socks; is this something people can attend and watch, is this were all the professionals go or is it a smaller local event, would you have a contact number or name I would like to check it out, if it is worth attending

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
Hey socks; is this something people can attend and watch, is this were all the professionals go or is it a smaller local event, would you have a contact number or name I would like to check it out, if it is worth attending
Yes you can attend and watch this event is what got me to go get "Kenny"
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Go to the respective websites. I know on HRC there is "upcomming tests" tab you cam hot and search by state, month.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
215 Posts
I know its way more than an hour drive,,but the 2012 National Amateur Retriever Championship is going on this week in Onaway Mi.
It's held annually all over the US. This year it just happens to be held here in Michigan. (I think the last time it was here was 12 years ago)
It's a rare oppertunity to see the top field trail retrievers in the country.
Its the cream of the crop in the field trail community.

http://www.theretrievernews.com/Nationals/NationalAmateur/2012-NARC-Event-Info

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Yep you can just show up and watch. Don't wear bright clothes like white, orange, pink, etc. I wouldn't bring your dog or dog's to a hunt test. Kids are ok as long as they behave. It'd be best to show up when it starts because every now and then they close the access road to use in the test. There will pro and amatuers(sp?) there. Some will be willing to talk and some won't, just depends on the person and stress. If you see someone with a dog out don't talk to them because they're more than likely airing and getting ready to run.

You might be better off trying to go to a club training day because people will have more time for questions.

Here's some links.

UKC HRC

http://www.huntingretrieverclub.org/

http://www.huntingretrieverclub.org/clubinfo.htm

AKC

http://www.akc.org/events/search/in...ctive_tab_row=3&active_tab_col=2&fixed_tab=12

select hunt tests, look for retriever, then a link to the club for info.

Both welcome people to come and watch. My personal opinion, which ain't worth much, is that HRC is more family friendly and you'll find more actual hunters. This is a broad generalization. You'll find friendly people and kids at both.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
St Clair Flats HRC will be having a hunt test this fall. Here is the information. Great group of people and Harsen's Island is a great place to run test.

ST. CLAIR FLATS HRC
September 8 & 9, 2012
REGULAR HUNT
LOC: St. Clair Flats Wildlife Office
1803 Krispin Road
Harsen's Island MI 48028
Hunt Chairperson: Kevin Bone
260 O'Connor
Lake Orion MI 48362
(248) 640-2240
[email protected]
Hunt Secretary: Steve Pittiglio
32543 Revere
Warren MI 48092
(586) 268-0543
[email protected]

Here is a link to upcoming test for Michigan.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/Upcoming.nsf/EventView?Open&Group=HuntingRetriever&Type=S&State=Michigan

http://scfhrc.net/2012/05/

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
You are welcome to come watch me train / run my dogs anytime. I do most of my training at Omega Farms and I would be happy to answer any questions about the game. As for not bringing your dog, heck if you think your dog can do the work enter your dog. I attended my first test and ran started. WARNING: Attending / running a hunt test may be addicting and could be hazardous to your wallet. Meetings for the addicted are held on a regular basis contact your local retriever club for time and place.

"My name is Jim and I run hunt tests."

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yep you can just show up and watch. Don't wear bright clothes like white, orange, pink, etc. I wouldn't bring your dog or dog's to a hunt test. Kids are ok as long as they behave. It'd be best to show up when it starts because every now and then they close the access road to use in the test. There will pro and amatuers(sp?) there. Some will be willing to talk and some won't, just depends on the person and stress. If you see someone with a dog out don't talk to them because they're more than likely airing and getting ready to run.

Both welcome people to come and watch. My personal opinion, which ain't worth much, is that HRC is more family friendly and you'll find more actual hunters. This is a broad generalization. You'll find friendly people and kids at both.
Don't talk to them and wear only approved clothing. Man that does sound friendly! :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
WARNING: Attending / running a hunt test may be addicting and could be hazardous to your wallet. Meetings for the addicted are held on a regular basis

Could not agree more
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Like to thank everyone for their info, it is a great start and I will be sure to come out to an event, just have to figure out where and when. Getting a pup in October and was thinking of maybe trying it out, my first lab was an awesome dog who probably should have been field trial for he had an on switch that was rarely shut off, I mostly hunted waterfowl with him, the most enjoyable part of waterfowl hunting for me was watching the dog work, now I don't waterfowl hunt as much, but still want to work the dog, so thought I would attend an event and see what it is all about...Thanks Again

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Don't talk to them and wear only approved clothing. Man that does sound friendly! :lol:

I'll take your comment as light hearted.;) Just some info in case you don't know, to get the average dog capable of doing master level work it'll take roughly 2 to 3 years of serious training to get it there. Then on test day you spend 8 to 10 hours there just to spend roughly 15minutes of run time for each of 2 series. That 15 minutes is very very stressful. Why? Because you quite possible spent literally the past 6 to 8 months training for that 15 minutes.

So some people like me don't want to talk to people when they're airing their dogs and getting ready to go to the line. It's not that we're being jerks, we're just focused. Oh yeah the clothes thing is so the dog doesn't see you easliy and gets distracted. A lot of early retriever training is done wearing white so the dog can see you easy. Well if someone is wearing white in the gallery the dog might focus on that person instead of the handler who sometimes is wearing head to toe camo.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
You are welcome to come watch me train / run my dogs anytime. I do most of my training at Omega Farms and I would be happy to answer any questions about the game. As for not bringing your dog, heck if you think your dog can do the work enter your dog. I attended my first test and ran started. WARNING: Attending / running a hunt test may be addicting and could be hazardous to your wallet. Meetings for the addicted are held on a regular basis contact your local retriever club for time and place.

"My name is Jim and I run hunt tests."
I'd take Jim up on his offer. I'll even throw in that you can watch me train my dog. Jim's better than me and has more experience though him being older and all.:p

I still say don't take a dog until you have an idea of what a test day is. I'd even say on a training day depending on what they're doing and if you're dog is properly conditioned to gun fire. If you go to a training day just ask your contact and see what they say. I showed up the first day with my dog, but I bought a started dog. My $0.02 that's all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts