Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I(we) went to the farm today and the field that we hunt, has been tilled and there is nothing going in till next year, and the field next door has been let go and is overgrown with weeds(different farmer) and across the street is beets and those are coming up next week. I still see lots of tracks, but to you think they will still travel through the woods that the field is next to, Where all the stands are in different spots. It is still a thick cover and This is where I have seen the majority of deer in the past come out of, but they were coming out to the fields to eat. Think they might still use the same travel routes even thought the fields are empty?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Just a thought... Ask the farmer if you can throw some seed down.. Shotplot grows in 45 days to maturity.. Highly attractive too! 39.99 does 2 acres.. Would be worth your money to run a 100 yards long along the edge of the woods by 50 yards wide and just over seed and pack it down with a quad by driving over the top until everything covered!

I think their travel routes will change obviously which the only downfall to that is no alternates for wind direction..

·
Banned
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There a few apple trees on the tree line and 2 fields over to the west is corn, so Think some scents and calling will do the trick? I seen 2 does walking by one of the stands why I was there, so I know they are still moving and seen some tracks in the MUD

I guess it will be a wait and see approach

Of all years to not be able to use any type of "bait", like com-er-deer and acron rage.....Well I guess it will be a test of my calling and scent using skills this year, but isnt that what hunting is about??

·
Registered
15,399 Posts
How far is the major food source (Beans,alfalfa) from this woods? If its a great distance seems the deer would be moving early to get there. I hunted a woods like that and deer would'nt show up in the morning until 9:30 - 10:00.

Did you talk to the farmer? You sure he is not prepping the ground for wheat?

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Take in account where other hunters will be. Look for escape routes. I have a few spots like that. The deer will come through at a brisk walk. Another trick is to guide them where you want. Through the thick overgrown stuff, make a path by running a quad through it towards an ambush point. Deer are pretty lazy, they like to walk down the easiest path.

·
Banned
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How far is the major food source (Beans,alfalfa) from this woods? If its a great distance seems the deer would be moving early to get there. I hunted a woods like that and deer would'nt show up in the morning until 9:30 - 10:00.

Did you talk to the farmer? You sure he is not prepping the ground for wheat?
the standing corn is about 500 yard's west of field I'm in.I did talk to the farmer and they said they all ready laid down (no idea what he said LOL) and they are not planting till next year, but you would think they would plant winter wheat??

I guess time will tell, Im not worried, because they are there I will just have to work harder then years past

I guess this is why they call it hunting:)

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigandeerslayer
the field next door has been let go and is overgrown with weeds

I'm in line with Tom and Tom on this one. That overgrown field should draw your attention and they are usually easy to scout for deer sightings from afar.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
You may want to hunt this location in the morning hours, while you can approach under the cover of darkness. It might prove to be difficult to get near the bedding area ( weedy field) during daylight for the afternoon hunt. If they see you anywhere near that field your busted.

tm

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Are there any slight depressions, low spots, high spots or any of these that run the length or width of the weedy field? If so these could be bedding spots and/or travel corridors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts