Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last season, I managed to break my Buck Knife (110). It was decades old and I was planning on replacing it anyway. I am looking for suggestions for a new deer hunting knife, maybe with some better steel than a traditional Buck Knife. Folder or fixed blade, it doesn't matter. Just looking for "the best" field Dressing knife. And there's no better group of experienced hunters that Michigan Sportsman members. So give me your ideas. Thanks

·
Administrator
18,074 Posts
Funny you should ask..
I have had a Buck 110 since the early 80's, and it is till in pretty good shape. However, as a gift I did receive a cheap knife (non-folding) with a gut hook that I used a few times. I really liked the the gut hook, so this Christmas I went on a search to find a good folding knife that came with a gut hook. I purchased 3 of them as Christmas presents and one for myself.
Seems like a really nice knife for the money...
Note that Buck and Kershaw also make some really nice looking gut hook folding knifes as well. These were out of stock last December, but I was happy with the Gerber anyway.
Gerber Gator Folding Knife, Fine Edge, Gut Hook

<----<<<

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I don't personally have one, but I bought my dad a Royal 7 clip point from Rapid River. He really likes both how it fits in his hand & the edge it holds while skinning & butchering. I've tried & failed to steal it from him twice. I do have a couple of Gerber gator folders & have had them for 10 plus years. Not the easiest steel to sharpen, but once you get them there, they work great for gutting & skinning. (& even as a follow-up shot palm saver for your muzzleloader in a pinch)

·
Premium Member
11,824 Posts
I’ll second rapid river knife company. Fine fine knives with many choices.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts

·
Administrator
18,074 Posts
Reactions: Blaze

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a bad habit of losing knives. Somehow in the excitement I put the knife down and forget to pick it up when the gutting job is done. For the last few years I've carried a Schrade Sharpfinger with the orange handle. Seems to hold a good edge and hard to lose in the leaves.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I really like using my Havalon since getting one. Have let a few other use it on their deer and turkey, each and every one of them immediately went and bought one for themselves. Only disadvantage is having to replace the blades, but they are fairly cheap.

·
Registered
12,094 Posts
Last season, I managed to break my Buck Knife (110). It was decades old and I was planning on replacing it anyway. I am looking for suggestions for a new deer hunting knife, maybe with some better steel than a traditional Buck Knife. Folder or fixed blade, it doesn't matter. Just looking for "the best" field Dressing knife. And there's no better group of experienced hunters that Michigan Sportsman members. So give me your ideas. Thanks
Got to ask, how did you break it ?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have used a few hunting knives. and split the pelvis on the 1st few deer I dressed. but then started just cutting around the a hole and pulling it out. hunting knives was bulky and crude for this. so I used a rapala fillet knife on a few and it was awesome. but then I bought a cheap folding fillet knife off ebay thats been even better. the long slim blade is ideal for cutting around the a hole. then I get me a starter cut at the base of the gut cavity. put 2 fingers in and lift up. place the point of the knife between my fingers and with a smooth motion I start moving the blade upward while moving the fingers at the same time. it opens the deer like a smooth zipper. the thin sharp blade cuts the hide like butter. I cut all the way up to and including the soft part of the brisket. then I go back and cut around the a hole and pull it through.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts