Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any here in Michigan that carry suppressors? I don't want to order out of state because it will drag the process even longer. Anywhere in Michigan it doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
30,943 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping to find someone who had purchased locally as well as prices.

Thanks for the links I'll sift through them.

I'm actually in the market for a AAC 762 SDN-6

If anyone has one and purchased in Michigan, please let me know.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Is the $200 tax a one time deal or do you have to renew a permit or something?

·
Trophy Husband
2,948 Posts
Is the $200 tax a one time deal or do you have to renew a permit or something?

Like stated above, the 200 fee is per suppressor. You also must provide a form 4, two finger print cards and two passport photos per suppressor. Government efficiency at its finest...

My transfer was through Tigon III outside of Grand Rapids. They stock several brands and of course can transfer from any out of state purchase. Great service and very organized people to deal with.

An out of state purchase which is transferred from dealer to dealer on a form 3 is running around 45 days the last I knew. When you consider the 4-6 month wait on the form 4, I do not think the extra 45 days on the form 3 is not that big of deal to get exactly what you want. I paid for my suppressor right before Christmas last year. It then was transferred to Tigon and I am 5 months into my from 4 wait right now....should be soon...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hughes Precision Products out of Indian River builds supressers aswell as coustom ar-15. I have shot several of there supressed guns and all where very quiet with the added benifit of less recoil.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Williams in Auburn, MI

·
Registered
407 Posts
A retired machinist that has a lathe etc. in his garage could easily make one up..the bigger question is what are you going to do with it

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Not legally. You have to be a licensed shop to make such items. You are not allowed to make your own.

Suppressors are completely legal and cut down on noise at the range. In sub sonic ammo you wont need hearing protection.

Helps prevent flinching for one.

The bigger question is why not own one?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
A retired machinist that has a lathe etc. in his garage could easily make one up..the bigger question is what are you going to do with it

It's a felony if you do it with ought a class3 license and I believe a mfg license

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Premium Member
30,943 Posts
Not legally. You have to be a licensed shop to make such items. You are not allowed to make your own.

Suppressors are completely legal and cut down on noise at the range. In sub sonic ammo you wont need hearing protection.

Helps prevent flinching for one.

The bigger question is why not own one?

It's a felony if you do it with ought a class3 license and I believe a mfg license

Both of these statements are untrue. It is legal to manufacture your own suppressor and you do not need a class 3 or manufacturing license. In fact, you can have someone at a shop make the parts for you as long as you are there supervising and take the parts away with you and do not leave them out of you sight.
You need to fill out form ATF 5320.1, send in the $200, wait for the stamp to come back before building.
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

Please do not give out anymore false information. It is not helpful and you lose credibility. Do a little research next time.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Both of these statements are untrue. It is legal to manufacture your own suppressor and you do not need a class 3 or manufacturing license. In fact, you can have someone at a shop make the parts for you as long as you are there supervising and take the parts away with you and do not leave them out of you sight.
You need to fill out form ATF 5320.1, send in the $200, wait for the stamp to come back before building.
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

Please do not give out anymore false information. It is not helpful and you lose credibility. Do a little research next time.
I would check with the ATF and a lawyer before I ever manufactured a class 3 device .I also have received different answers from diff people at the atf .I would just make sure I had my ducks in a row before I did this

·
Premium Member
30,943 Posts
I would check with the ATF and a lawyer before I ever manufactured a class 3 device .I also have received different answers from diff people at the atf .I would just make sure I had my ducks in a row before I did this

You have received different answers from the ATF about suppressors or NFA items in general?
All you need to do is read Title II of the Gun Control Act of 1968. This allows a private person to make a suppressor. Give the ATF a call and ask them, but make sure you talk to a firearms expert that knows about NFA firearm laws. Plenty of people get permission after filling out the form and paying the $200 fee.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yes I have had different answers from diff agents in the past and diff answers than what I have heard on forums.
One point that was made to me is if you are going to mfg it you need to be the one making it . If a machine shop makes it for you "even with you there" they need to have a mfg license . I was also told you can not make spare parts at one time and that every spare part would be a violation
There are just a lot more things to consider when going the Mfg route vs purchasing . Even liability
I guess my point is you better have your ducks in a row when dealing with the govt and especially the ATF

·
Premium Member
30,943 Posts
Yes I have had different answers from diff agents in the past and diff answers than what I have heard on forums.
One point that was made to me is if you are going to mfg it you need to be the one making it . If a machine shop makes it for you "even with you there" they need to have a mfg license . I was also told you can not make spare parts at one time and that every spare part would be a violation
There are just a lot more things to consider when going the Mfg route vs purchasing . Even liability
I guess my point is you better have your ducks in a row when dealing with the govt and especially the ATF

I have been told some of the same things in the past and it is true, you can not make spare parts. That would be a violation.
An agent ounce told me the same thing that someone in a machine shop could machine the parts for me, but I had to be there and they needed a manufacturing license. I asked if a person had a license to manufacture, then I did not need to be there because that person would already be in the business. That person could machine the parts for me under my supervision, I did not have to actually operate the machinery myself. The agent admitted I was right. It turned out that this agent was new in his position and was repeating what he had heard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts