Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting in both ww and rye in the coming weeks. I've searched without any luck on the fertilizer needs of ww at planting. Any recommendations? What about rye - it sounds like I don't need any fertilizer to get rye to grow, but will it help improve the plot? I have a bag of urea left over from a brassica plot. Any use for this in the ww or rye?

I'm planning on broadcasting the seed and fertilizer, then shallow tilling them in in one plot (already sprayed). The other plot (also already sprayed) I'm going to run a drag harrow over, then broadcast seed & fertilizer, then drag again. I'm curious how the two methods will compare.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I honestly do not think you need to fertilize wheat or rye if you are planting it now.

Wheat is supposed to be fertilized in the spring, in order to get production and farmers will tell you that.

I planted 3 plots of wheat last weekend. One plot I did not fertilize. One plot where I want to build the soil for next year, I spread triple 19 and one plot I threw on some Urea. I really thought about not doing anything at all.

If you are trying to build your soil, or would like get rid of the fertilizer in your barn, then do it. Otherwise, you probably have enough nutrients in your soil. Koz

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
You do not have to fertilize WW or rye to have a nice plot. However, I am convinced that a fertilized plot provided higher attraction to deer.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
You do not have to fertilize WW or rye to have a nice plot. However, I am convinced that a fertilized plot provided higher attraction to deer.
CPA has deer tripping over themselves over there to get to his food plots!:lol:

I agree, that you are probably correct on your statement.

·
Registered
903 Posts
i put in 5 plots of ww and rye last weekend. i used 20-10-10 based on the fertilization guide in the back of eds book. it worked for me last year.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Nontyp,

I'm not surprised you won't find much on WW fall fertilizer on the internet. Wheat growers want good emergence in the fall but not much top growth. Too much top growth encourages disease and winter kill. Foodplotters on the other hand, want more growth for attraction in the fall and normally aren't concerned about grain yield in the spring. A typical wheat fert plan will include 1.5-2# of N, .5-.6# of P205 and .3# of k20 for each bushel of wheat yield goal. The P and K normally is applied in the fall prior to planting and the N will be applied in the spring.

Since we are not after a grain yield, I agree that adding fert is not necessary. With that said, I still like to increase fall attraction and will apply 25 -50 # of P205, 15-30 # of k20 and up to 50# of N. That equates to approximatley 50# of DAP, 50# of Potash, and up to 100# of Urea per acre. I checked Ed's book, 150# of 20-10-10 gives you 30# of N, 15# of P205 and 15# of K20.

Did I confuse the issue enough yet? :)

Tim

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
:yeahthat:
Nontyp,

I'm not surprised you won't find much on WW fall fertilizer on the internet. Wheat growers want good emergence in the fall but not much top growth. Too much top growth encourages disease and winter kill. Foodplotters on the other hand, want more growth for attraction in the fall and normally aren't concerned about grain yield in the spring. A typical wheat fert plan will include 1.5-2# of N, .5-.6# of P205 and .3# of k20 for each bushel of wheat yield goal. The P and K normally is applied in the fall prior to planting and the N will be applied in the spring.

Since we are not after a grain yield, I agree that adding fert is not necessary. With that said, I still like to increase fall attraction and will apply 25 -50 # of P205, 15-30 # of k20 and up to 50# of N. That equates to approximatley 50# of DAP, 50# of Potash, and up to 100# of Urea per acre. I checked Ed's book, 150# of 20-10-10 gives you 30# of N, 15# of P205 and 15# of K20.

Did I confuse the issue enough yet? :)

Tim
Confused? Probably won't sleep tonight thinking about it!:tdo12:

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
I love wheat. Most underrated food plot there is. Even my fussy deer poundthdaylights out of it. Get a December thaw, and every deer in the township is eating my fertilizer-boosted wheat.

I always fertilize. Since I'm limited to bagged fertilizer, and can no longer find 20-10-10, I use one part 6-24-24 to 1.5 parts 46-0-0; wheat loves nitrogen. That being said, I do NOT apply 46-0-0 unless it is either raining or certain to rain. If it's dry, you lose most of it.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
CPA has deer tripping over themselves over there to get to his food plots!:lol:

Here's the lastest! I really hope to get a crack at this guy. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
I was really hoping you were going to get on my team!

Gonna have to run him my way after you miss him! He is a giant! See, now you will not be able to sleep at night, while I will sleep just fine!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts