Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sat out there with my daughter yesterday.

Never worked a bird. Heard a few shots; we were the fifth party to set up and that was at about 1:30. Three parties set up in three consecutive zones was worth a chuckle. Saw maybe 500 geese and less than 100 mallards. Historically there should be about 5-7k of each right now. Usually the duck flight within the refuge from south to north is worth the show even if the geese don't play.

Won't be headed back until something changes. Scouting alternate plans for the late split.

·
Registered
380 Posts
So it was a waste of time? I was going to head there Sunday for the final split day, but if there are nothing flying, maybe just sleeping in maybe a better plan.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Very different observation than what I saw. The previous days. Watched two different clouds of ducks. More like tornadoes. Must have left town LOL!!

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scouted Monday night too. Saw about 200 ducks. Must be blind.

Hoping this cold locks the ponds up and pushes the ducks to my 10 minute limit creek.

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Time spent with my daughter is never a waste of time. It's our last season together before she leaves for college. Can't believe it. Still see her as the five year old carrying her junior Power Hunter across the fields at Muskegon.

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This place is so dead I had to check the regs to see if it was open.

Walked my favorite zone to see if the corn was any good as the wind has levelled a bunch of it. Just when it got good some idiots knocked down enough room to park a car, then left their orange peels and empties. And two Fiocchi BBB unfired rounds, thanks. If you read this, please explain.

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Watched about 800 glide in from the north. If I had to wager some were already on unit and some were new birds.

Heard one shot all afternoon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How does the first come first served work? How do you know where the other parties are hunting? Have never hunted there when there has not been a drawing.

Thanks

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Drive around and look. Then drag your stuff in.

I'm sure someday I'll have someone walk in at four and set up 100 yards down wind of me, at which point I'll wait until they are set up then spend the rest of hours packing up my spread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am trying to figure out how to determine if someone is in a zone not visible from the road or before daylight. Since everything needs to be carried in, it would be nice to know before dragging everything in. Then having to return to the vehicle and look elsewhere.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Made it out this morning.. managed to bag a goose and miss another gimmi shot.. overall pretty steady activity plenty of interest in my half @ss spread... I suppose I shoulda deployed the other 3/4’s of a the spread ..probably could have provoked a few more. Plenty of birds using the unit now and a good percentage seemed to not be overly smart and willing to investigate as good geese should

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hard to compete with guys that drive out and set up a huge spread.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts