Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever has an issue with a neighboring propert's fence line encroaching on their properts? I had a survey done and it show that the neighbors fence line (he has 180 acres), is 56" on my property (30 acres) per the survey. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
19,358 Posts
Has anyone ever has an issue with a neighboring propert's fence line encroaching on their properts? I had a survey done and it show that the neighbors fence line (he has 180 acres), is 56" on my property (30 acres) per the survey. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. :confused:
Just checking, you are saying 56 inches(56") and not 56'(feet) ? Is the fence pretty straight so the whole thing is wrong or are parts of the fence ok ? Either way, I guess I would ask him if he could get the fence moved by next summer and that I would be willing to help. That fence has probably been wrong for 125 years or more so don't be surprised if he thinks the survey is wrong.
Edit:....He might ask you if you want to sell that land to avoid moving the fence if the fence is a good one.
2nd edit:...Is this new property for you ? That might be your fence to maintain, move or tear down.
L & O

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Adverse possession is only going to apply if you know about the encroachment for a number of years and don't do anything to remedy the situation. If your a new owner or just learned of the issue because of the survey it does not apply.

I would just go over and ask him to move it as per the survey. Most people will understand. As someone above said its probably been that way for a long time and I'm sure it was put in without a survey.

My property is a piece of an old 400 acre Dairy farm. I have 27 acres and about 10 acres of it is horse pasture. It has a small pond that overlaps the adjacent property. Well the steel weave pasture type fence looped around the pond and onto the neighbors property. It was like that for +/- 10 years. So anyway one day he came over and asked me to move it for the exact same reasons as above. I said no problem I understand and moved it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts