Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a female yote this morning at the same set the male came from in the remake set I described yesterday. Nice pretty coate on her. I sure like my 1.5 round jaw monties. Been taking them just behind the last pad. Took a few pics at the set, but you know me and pictures and this computor. I would like to be able to share pics with everyone and hopefully I'll get someone over here that can hook me up, so I can post picks for everyone. Wild Bill, I'm starting to think your right on these damp, drizzly, foggy nights. I've taken two yotes and a red in 4 nights, only trapping one area with seven sets out less than a quarter mile apart. probably hit another dry spell real soon, seems to be feast or famin with me.

·
Super Moderator
6,907 Posts
congrats on the yote.this morning was the first time in a week that i didnt have at least a grinner in one of my sets but i only had 2 older dirthole sets out and a couple coon sets. pulled 2 traps yesterday to clean and rewax. so far all my canines have come from 4 traps on my 30 acres. ive kinda suprised myself on how good i have done so far. looks like tonight should be another good night for movement then its back to freezing temps and frozen ground.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Wild Bill and Frostbite,

You guys have done great. I dont know your level of experience, but it doesnt matter....still great catches for this time of year.

To me, one of the coolest things is finding productive set locations, then chiselling them into my inventory for future years. I already have quite a few "known producers" which I will re-set next season. Many/most of the unproductive locations will be dropped, and replaced with new ones.

I think its alot like morel hunting, which I also enjoy very much. A big part of the fun is finding productive spots and cataloging them for future years. When I started, most of my time was spent prospecting.....but now I can spend several days just hunting known spots.

Wild Bill, it sounds like your 4 trap sites are ones for your archive :D

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
You guys are doing great. I have had traps out for a week and caught -0-. I had some thing in one of my ermine boxes but when I got there the only thing left was some hair. I think a coon cleaned it out.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the encouragement everybody. I think the big thing is that alot of people rely on the common dirt hole set and alot of the yotes I'm experiencing are wary of that set. I also believe it takes 4 days minimum for your sent to clear out of the area and the drive by check produces for me alot better than walking the trap line. I also have a river that serves as a major travel route, with crops along the edge and thick brush as well. Gonna try to make a few new sets in a different area before the week end, maybe put out another beaver set or two once the river stablizes.

·
Super Moderator
6,907 Posts
i also drive my trails to check my traps except for my coon sets in the swamp. i drive my trails year round so its nothing new to the critters.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Congrats guys. It sounds like everyone is havin a great season so far

1 - 8 of 8 Posts