Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Female Chocolate Lab Names

8K views 30 replies 28 participants last post by  DiversWelcome 
#1 ·
Looking for help finding a name. The old lady and I are having a hard time coming to terms on a name. I would like it to be duck hunting related, she doesn't mind that but wants it to be "girly"....any suggestions?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#3 ·
Names with one sylable and a hard consanant are best for the dog. Pam is good (hard P) Sue rather soft, for example. After that, think of how it will sound as you hollar it out in the marsh (that WILL happen!). Have fun with the pup.

Bud

#7 ·
I wanted to name my lab Baby Jesus but the wife named her Bree after her fantasy football quarter back. Remi was my second choice but i don't get a choice. Lol

#21 ·
Names with one sylable and a hard consanant are best for the dog. Pam is good (hard P) Sue rather soft, for example. After that, think of how it will sound as you hollar it out in the marsh (that WILL happen!). Have fun with the pup.

Bud
I was given advice once that one syllable names are a bad choice because when u yell across a field, marsh, woods etc, all one syllable names sound so similar that its hard to get the dogs attention. Also, the yeller goes hoarser easier because of how the sound comes out through the open throat. Try yelling duke, blue, bo, etc its easy to see what he meant. Of course if the dog is awesome and comes first call then no problem.
Just somethin i heard once.

#22 ·
I was given advice once that one syllable names are a bad choice because when u yell across a field, marsh, woods etc, all one syllable names sound so similar that its hard to get the dogs attention. Also, the yeller goes hoarser easier because of how the sound comes out through the open throat. Try yelling duke, blue, bo, etc its easy to see what he meant. Of course if the dog is awesome and comes first call then no problem.
Just somethin i heard once.

No. Your voice is all that dog needs. Expect more from your dog. We can just yell beagle dogs in the woods and they all come out. The ones that don't start getting individual names called. And that's calling em out on track. I just called tanker, tank and all I did was yell his name and it got his attention. Its all about the tone of your voice. As far as getting hoarser, ummm don't be the guy at the managed area yelling at your dog all morning. If your yelling that much your dog is out of control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.